looking for Shark owners or users in South Dakota

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

duaneW

looking for Shark owners or users in South Dakota

Post by duaneW »

I just purchased a new Mako Shark HD. I live in Sioux Falls, S.D. and am looking for any shark owners or users in this area. I am VERY new to this and would like
to make sure I start off on the right foot.

4DThinker

Re: looking for Shark owners or users in South Dakota

Post by 4DThinker »

I'm a bit South (in Kansas), Duane. I've had a Shark for what seems like three years now. Never noticed any right or left footedness using mine. :D

Hopefully you are CAD trained, and can get around in VCarve easy enough. It is a bit of an art to go from a vector drawing to tool paths, but if you start small and can handle the inevitable clamping or cutting mistakes we all make you'll be making amazing things very quickly.

Eagle55

Post by Eagle55 »

Welcome Duane,
I know its overwhelming to start off with little or no CNC experience but believe it or not its not as bad as it looks. With a little reading of the manuals, its surprising how much help the guys (and gals) here on the forum can help. There is a tremendous pool of experience sitting here at your fingertips. I know this first hand because they have been a world of help to me when I started out and even now. I "hang around" because I am always learning new stuff form the forum. Although the though of running over and seeing someone operate the Shark seems desirable, I am in the middle of no where in terms of Shark owners or any other CNC owners that I am aware of... at least that would be helpful. This forum filled the gap of not being able to have someone "real" to holler at.

Roger
CNC Shark HD ~ Control Panel 2.0 ~ Windows 7 & XP
Located in West Tennessee near the Tennessee River
http://www.eaglecarver4.com

BobA

Post by BobA »

Hey Roger,

You are not alone. There are three of us soon to be four in this great state of ours. I am only 150 miles away from you.

I understand what you mean.

Bob

Jim Krager

Post by Jim Krager »

The biggest issue I had was Feed Rate and Pass Depth, Slow and shallow are good.

thomas

Post by thomas »

I'm not far from you. It's not that I don't want to help you out or afraid that you will steal my secrets that I've learned on this forum or others (vectric,cnc zone and yes shopbot forum among others), but here are my suggestions. Print out the manual for v-carve pro, yes its a lot of pages but I find it easier to read and make notes in the margins (you probably have to get an extra ink carterage to print it). Watch the tutorials again and again and try to mimic what they do. Take small small steps to start. Be prepared to watch the sun come up in the morning when you become so engrossed that you loose track of time ( thank God I have I have a couch and tv in my shop). Get a dust and chip collector. Get ear protection. Find a source for scrap wood (try your local cabinet shops). When you start running stuff keep your finger on the OH SH*T
(E STOP) button. Good luck and if you have specific questions post them here as most typically get an answer.