Mach 3 control

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

2Big

Mach 3 control

Post by 2Big »

I have recently purchased the Maco shark, I have it set up and running but would like to have more G-Code write/edit capability without having to go back to the V-carve file to change anything- Will Mach3 CNC control software work with the shark stepper drivers?

tonydude

Re: Mach 3 control

Post by tonydude »

There are people on here that use Mach 3 on there sharks.

Tony
Buffalo,NY

"What will matter is not what you bought but what you built; not what you got, but what you gave”

Aspire 11.015, photo vcarve, cnc mako shark extended bed with the new upgraded HD 5 gantry with Led pendent.

Tim Owens

Post by Tim Owens »

You can edit your own Gcode what are you trying to do?
Mach 3 does work with the older sharks but doenst work with the Mako at this time.

2Big

Post by 2Big »

Tim,

Thanks for your reply, I am disappointed that I cannot use Mach3 at this time. Are there any plans to make it compatable in the future? I can open the tap files in wordpad and edit but the shark does not seem to recognize very many basic G-codes. Is there a list available? Secondly I would very much like to have an MDI funtion. Its a real pain to position the tool using the jog feature and I would like to just like to tell the machine to go to X2.625 at a feedrate of 30 inches per minute! (G01 X2.625 F30)

I have another issue that is currently straining my brain- I keep getting a Z to zero move at the very start of my programs generated frome v-carve. There is no Z0.0 command in the g-code and no Z0.0 move shows up in the tool path simulation in V-carve.

Here is my set-up:
Z zero is set to the top of the workpiece in v-carve.
Rapid safe z is set to Z 1.0 in v-carve
Z is jogged to 1.0 above my workpiece and Z is pre-set to 1.0 on the control readout.
The first Z command in the program is "G0 Z1.0" however z goes down to zero then back up to Z1.0-
All the rest of the Z moves are correct!

Am I missing something in the the V-carve or controller set up?

Have a happy Thanksgiving,

( 2Big) Tom Boston

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Post by jeb2cav »

Hi Tom,

This post has a list of gcodes that I've seen in tap files used with the Shark - http://cncsharktalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1897. I won't claim that these are all that are supported, but it may be of use to you as a start point.

The behavior you are asking about with regard to the cutter moving to XYZ0 at the start of the job is the result of the control circuitry and behavior (at least as I understand it today). As you note, this move is not found in the tap file. A long standing issue with many/all Shark users. The bottom line is there is nothing we can do to 'stop' this move at this time. IDK if NWA is working on this with the controller hardware manufacturer or not.

Happy Thanksgiving to all.

4DThinker

Post by 4DThinker »

About the Shark going to 0,0,0 at the beginning of each job...

The main advantage for this behavior is repeat-ability. The Sharks, unlike a full size Multicam CNC have enough play/flex in their design that something as simple as the direction of approach to the first cut could result in slightly different results when the direction varies. You can also depend on the router not making a b-line through a clamp as it might if you could start a job with the router anywhere on the table.

A trick I use that may help when you don't want the router to damage the surface at 0,0,0 is to "set" Z=0 at 0.1" above the surface. Then use 0.1" as the Starting Depth for each cut instead of 0, and your result will be the same except for no potential ding at 0,0,0.

Hope that helps.
4D

Tim Owens

Post by Tim Owens »

If you are going to write your own gcode you will have to put a header and footer in your code.
The Shark is looking for a few things like the G90 and G20 at the top at a min and the M02 at the bottom if you want the router to turn on you have
to do the S and m03 code.
make a quick output in any vcarve and just copy the top head and ad a m02 at the bottom and you would be fine.