Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

NewAgent45

CNC Shark w. SCP2 Virtual Zero Functionality

Post by NewAgent45 »

CNC Shark Spoil-Board
CNC Shark Spoil-Board
CNC Shark Setup
CNC Shark Setup
I purchased my CNC Shark Black Diamond with SCP2 but didn’t install SCP2 till yesterday. My first adventure with virtual zero was a little frustrating. Being a novice I’m glad I had some time learning with 1.5 first.

After installing and registering SCP2. I downloaded the SCP2 user’s manual and actually printed a hard copy of the manual. The next time I would not bother to print the first 68 pages as they are devoted to software installation and registration. The latter half of the manual is technical details. I think there could have a little more details in the Virtual Zero sections.

As I said above my first attempt at virtual zero setup was frustrating as I ran the machine up against the stops. Never a good thing! We were right on the E-stop and there don’t appear to be any damage.

The last paragraph on page 104 states “You must position the gantry in the lower left of the material….” To me this means to manually jog the gantry to this x,y position first. This does not actually seem to be the case. To run the setup you must load the G-code first. What I’m observing is you need to initially position the gantry at the (x, y) origin defined in the G-code and set (x=0 , y=0) . After testing with an example program I ran the virtual setup using my Spoil-Board Surface planning pocket profile program. In this case the origin is defined as the (x, y) center. When I ran the virtual setup everything appeared to run as expected. Refer to my attached picture of my spoil-board setup and screen capture showing the SCP2 Virtual zero profile results.

I’m trying to understand more about the practical application of the virtual zero feature. I’m posting this in hopes of stimulating virtual zero application discussion not limited to my comments and questions that follow.

1. In Preferences > Virtual tab - The virtual data is stored (Readings 1 – 5) I don’t see a way to view it in the right hand display till after you load the G-Code.

2. It looks like only one instance of the virtual zero can be saved and you have to clear and discard it before you can run the virtual setup again or I think you can overwrite it if you load a different G-code file. If you were to manually collect the profile data there does not appear to be anyway to manually enter it. My thinking here is it would be nice to store multiple profiles.

3. I looks like when you reload the G-Code that was just previously used it allows use of the stored Vz profile.

4. If you load a different G-code with Vz selected it will automatically prompt you to run Vz setup. In doing so the previous Vz profile would be discarded.

5. In my example of the Spoil-board surface planning the Vz profile looks pretty good. I previously surface planed this spoil-board without Vz. If I were to run the surface planning program with the Vz profile what should I expect? It seems it would follow the profile and not knockdown the high corners.

I’m hoping to learn from your replies. Thanks for reading my post.
…… Rod
Vz Spoil-Board Profile
Vz Spoil-Board Profile

monitoringpost

Re: CNC Shark w. SCP2 Virtual Zero Functionality

Post by monitoringpost »

You do not want to use virtual zero for surfacing a spoiler board - that would defeat the purpose.

NewAgent45

Post by NewAgent45 »

Monitoring post:

I was also thinking that Vz wouldn't be a good idea for surface planing. I'm looking for a much more technical discussion. I'm an engineer but very new to CNC.
.....Rod

EdThorne

Post by EdThorne »

NewAgent45 wrote:
CNC Shark Spoil-Board.jpg
CNC Shark Setup.jpg
4. If you load a different G-code with Vz selected it will automatically prompt you to run Vz setup. In doing so the previous Vz profile would be discarded.
…… Rod
Vz Spoil-Board Profile.jpg
Hi Rod,

I have found that you need to teach x and y zero positions and at least a rough z-axis zero position before starting this process. Be sure that your clamps are well clear of the corners of your work-piece. Also make sure that the dimensions of the work-piece are equal to or greater than those defined in your material setup in VCP or Aspire.The software will first ask if you wish to use virtual zero and then [if you answer "Yes"] ask if you wish to use the stored virtual zero offsets [if you have previously stored values into these during a previous VZ setup]. I haven't found a way to manually enter values into these VZ locations.

I agree with the others that you don't want to use VZ while leveling the surface on a spoil-board.

I use VZ mostly when the material that I am using is slightly warped. I could plane the entire surface but don't find it necessary when using the VZ feature. VZ will not correct for localized distortions of the surface. It does pretty well when I am v-carving into a surface that is slightly warped. This is particularly true when the depth of the v-carving is shallow. Small variations show up as changes in the depth and also the width of the v-carving. Again, the VZ approach doesn't help if surface deformations are localized [like a dent in the surface]. I don't find this to happen very often as the surfaces of the material that I use come from a planer. One may rightfully argue that the best approach is to just mill the surface flat and skip using the VZ feature. Sometimes the surface of the wood has a patina that one does not wish to remove. This is a personal preference.

Good luck,
Ed

janz

Post by janz »

I have used the virt z a few times now and found it works wonderful 75% of the time.
Some models actually distort a bit (25%). When not using virt z but using same control
panel the same tool path works fine. I am starting to learn what 3d models won't do
as well with the virtual. I love the concept and when done using the VZ setup I can see
the irregularities of the material piece. Like the idea of using wood without sending it
through the planer or drum sander first. At this point it's looking like anything 6" square
or smaller the VZ does not do well.