4th Axis/Rotary Project Setup

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

jeb2cav
Site Admin

4th Axis/Rotary Project Setup

Post by jeb2cav »

There is a different workflow when creating a new VCarve Pro or Aspire project for use with the rotary axis. While some may be aware of this, others may not be. There is a great tutorial (of course) on the Vectric site - http://support.vectric.com/tutorials/V8 ... D_PRO.html. This one video is about 25 minutes long, and the best single reference I'm aware of. Of course lots of great dialogue on the Vectric Forum in the Rotary section as well.

When you create a new job for rotary using the Wrapped Job Setup gadget, you'll must select -

- Cylinder Orientation Along X Axis
- Z Origin on Cylinder Axis (Bottom)

if you're creating a project for use with the CNC Shark rotary system.
Wrapped Job Setup for use with CNC Shark
Wrapped Job Setup for use with CNC Shark
Like most things I've found in working with my Shark, the investment of time I've spent learning how to use VCarve/Aspire, the 100s of hours I've spent going through tutorials and even more forum posts, the better my experience. The really talented folks have spent a lot more time than that using VCarve and Aspire.

EdThorne

Re: 4th Axis/Rotary Project Setup

Post by EdThorne »

Hi Joe,
I am waiting to see how this will work with the 4th axis on the Shark. The wrap gadget assumes that the wrap occurs around either the x or y axis. You then select the proper post-processor to perform the cut. The NWA approach allows the setup to run across both axes. It seems to me that this is more complicated and I wonder if the gadget will work in this case. Granted that one could still setup the 4-axis to run in only the x or y axis but regardless a new post-processor will be needed to utilize the hardware. I'm interested to see how this is done on the Shark. I watched the video and played with the gadget using Aspire 8 and it is impressive.

Have you seen any information, like a manual, for setting up and running the 4th axis on the Shark?

Regards,
Ed

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Post by jeb2cav »

Hi Ed,

While the gadget gives you the choice of either x or y, for use with the Shark setup, you need to select X. I think that is pretty straight forward, and is similar to other 4th axis configurations I've seen (the choice of one or the other).

There will be 2 additional post processors fielded. I think you'll find the choice of the rotary post processor to be straight forward as well. If the rotary setup is mostly oriented along the X axis, you'll pick the rotary X axis pp. Likewise for choosing the rotary Y pp. The rest of the story is the result of the SCP2's virtual capability. As the table top accessory is not a permanent fixture, the virtual capability enables you to get the outcome you want, without having a permanent fixture that may also be challenging to dial in after installation to get the expected outcome

As long as you make the correct choices for the 2 settings I mention at the start of the thread, from a project design perspective you could have the 4th axis mounted at an angle corner to corner with an angle closer to the Y axis, and then a few weeks later set up the rotary along the X axis and run the same project. The only thing you might have to do is open the project and regenerate the tapfile as the 'first one' was using the Y axis, and a later run of that same project was done using a rotary setup along the X axis.

A shorter way of saying this is - the VCarve Pro/Aspire project is blissfully unknowing of the way you've setup the rotary to actually carve it.

As it is a table top setup - I can see how folks may choose to set it up differently for a given job, depending on their needs. Likewise, some folks may choose to set it up somewhat permanently - and that will work for them given their range of projects.

The manual is in review, as is the software. So yes, I've seen both, and have this running here in KY (along with a couple other beta testers). While that might be hard to imagine, it is what it is. Besides the 0.001" crew, I think most folks will find this a useful capability.

The difference in workflow is not hard to get over, but it is different. I'm aware from the forum that some folks have pre-ordered and I know that these have been shipped. Thought I'd provide a heads up on the project design part of this, in the off chance that someone who is thinking about a 4th axis or has ordered one, hasn't looked into this aspect and then after they get it, they find themselves spending some time learning how to create a 4th axis project before they actually can run it in the shop.

EdThorne

Post by EdThorne »

Thank you Joe. You provided a perfectly clear explanation of the operation. I'm not a member of the 0.001" club. LOL I'm not opposed to having that kind of accuracy. I see a lot of improvements in the Shark HW and SW that are moving in that direction.

I'm a hobbyist and may well not represent the general opinion shared by more professional individuals. I wonder what percentage of forum members are hobbyists? I don't buy accessories or upgrades with an ROI requirement. Obviously, professionals have different motivations from mine and I respect that.

Regardless, I enjoy the Shark and the entire cnc experience and greatly appreciate the efforts being made to improve the equipment and to educate those individuals, like myself, that would be somewhat lost without such help. So, thank you!!

Best regards,
Ed

meb

Post by meb »

Jo,

I know that in the description of the 4th axis they say it can be setup at an angle to the bed and you also mention this. Is this possible because of the 2.0 control software or does the 4th axis have it's own control software?.

Also I noticed that the Aspire 8.0 update added a new post processor "CNCShark-Wrap Y2A(inch)(*.tap)" so I guess that all wrapped jobs will be run with this post processor so you should not have to run new tap files unless you have to set up a job before you run a tap file.

Mike

monitoringpost

Post by monitoringpost »

meb wrote:Also I noticed that the Aspire 8.0 update added a new post processor "CNCShark-Wrap Y2A(inch)(*.tap)" so I guess that all wrapped jobs will be run with this post processor so you should not have to run new tap files unless you have to set up a job before you run a tap file
Actually these PP are present in Aspire v4.5. I haven't upgraded yet and they're there!

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Post by jeb2cav »

Hi Mike,

The existing post processor in the Vectric installs - provided by NWA - is not the one you'll use with the upcoming rotary setup. 4 new post processors will be provided. At some point the Vectric installer will also get updated.

The SCP2 is the control software. The A-Axis motor plugs into your existing Shark Control Box.