The SET button

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

LeeWills

The SET button

Post by LeeWills »

After having had my Shark for almost 5 years I suddenly discovered what the "Set" button is for.
I have had a problem with setting the correct depth by jogging, when I am cutting something.
Now I discovered that if I decide the cut is too shallow, I can reset the start position by adding or subtracting the numbers on the Z axis.
I just do not go back to XYZ0 when I change toolpaths with the same tool.
Saving me going back to the house PC to change the toolpath.
Same if the starting point is not absolutely correct, it can be adjusted the same way.
It has been a good day when you learn something new.
Lee :D
If you can't blind someone with science, Confound then with B***S***

4DThinker

Re: The SET button

Post by 4DThinker »

Very true, Lee. The SET button also opens up other strategies for homing the router bit. Aligning the center of an end mill to an x you have drawn in what you think is the middle of a board is a fairly wild guess. Instead you can align the outer tip of the bit to your mark, then use SET and enter 1/2 the bit diameter in that axis to get it perfectly centered when you move to 0,0,0. You could also skip marking the board altogether. Line up the edge of your bit with the outer edge of the board. SET 1/2 the bit diameter + 1/2 the board width. Do this for both the X and Y axis and a move to 0,0,0 will be perfect with no pencil mark under it. Use negative values when left of or in front of the board. Use positive values when right of or in back of the board.

4D