Screensaver interrupting Touch Probe???

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

Psychomedic

Screensaver interrupting Touch Probe???

Post by Psychomedic »

Just got the scan probe. Looked like it was working fine as it was rendering a guitar bridge. I stepped away for about 10 minutes. When I got back, the probe had elevated to the original Z height and was scanning at back and forth along the X & Y axes in that plane. The only thing I could see that had changed was that the computer's screensaver had initiated. Could that have been a problem? I don't see anything in the very outdated documentation (2010) for this piece of equipment. Next Wave seriously needs an operations officer. Their manuals and docs are useless and, in most cases, are for product models that are now ancient history. I can't believe established companies like Rockler and Woodcraft work with them. Ok, rant over for now. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!!

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Re: Screensaver interrupting Touch Probe???

Post by jeb2cav »

I doubt that the screen saver caused this. However, in one of the useless manuals you mention, which covers only ancient stuff, it does strongly discourage you from having a screen saver function running on the computer you are using with the SCP. You may have been discouraged given that the manual hasn't been updated in while to actually read that section.

My own experience with the touch probe is that it does require a break in period. Some have said this is not the case, and I don't doubt that, but in the 2 I've used over the years, I've found that both required a couple hour break in use before they performed consistently. Given that it is a mechanical device, and pretty inexpensive, this does make sense to me - but might not to others. This ancient topic might be of interest to you: http://www.cncsharktalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=322

This topic is also pretty ancient - but I think still relevant - with regard to scan probe settings, along with a link to yet another pretty old topic on some of the rest of the story - http://www.cncsharktalk.com/viewtopic.p ... ouch#p6834.

You may want to consider returning the whole thing though, and find something else that meets your documentation expectation. I can tell you that neither Rockler or Woodcraft sell these - but they are easy to find (and typically cost more to a lot more). Not defending it, but it is part of the equation in my assessment of this over the years.

Psychomedic

Post by Psychomedic »

Thanks so much, Joe!! I'll try the "break-in" method tonight. What you and others described in the older thread regarding the probe's behavior matched my experience. You're right that I should lower my expectations given the cost of the probe. I reread the probe manual currently on Next Wave's website (03/30/2010) as well as the SCP2.0 manual but didn't see anything referring to the screensaver. Is there another manual somewhere I am not aware of? I will turn off the screensaver just in case but I think you are right that it shouldn't have had an effect.

Sorry if I came off as an angry toddler. I was frustrated but I do think my documentation expectations for a $4K machine are reasonable. Just sitting here surrounded by computer equipment, guitar amps, cameras, and all kinds of woodworking machinery, I notice none of them cost $4K, most were much less, and all have up to date software/firmware and manuals. To be 6 years and several product versions behind concerns me. Having said that, I really like the machine itself despite its QC issues. I am willing to work around its quirks. I'd rather do that than return it and pay a few thousand more for a better overall product.

I am very grateful to you and folks like you that have been familiar with this product from the get go AND are willing to share your invaluable experience with [ranting] newbies. You are very generous.

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Post by jeb2cav »

Hi - I don't think anyone would disagree with your expectation - but that is not the case in general. Documentation does come in fits and spurts, and then there's a gap. In the end, there is a real cost to this and while we all agree it would be great, expected, etc - sort of like travel limit switches, bed sag in some cases, etc - it is what it is and as I think you'll find, minor compared to the overall capability and value.

There are 2 manuals for the Shark system - the SCP 2.0 and the Shark Owner's Manual, both of which you can download here - http://shop.nextwaveautomation.com/shop ... x?recid=26

Psychomedic

Post by Psychomedic »

Well, I disabled the screensaver. I also checked on the probe often as it scanned. No problems at all!!! I have not been able to import the stl file with the Vcarve Pro software that came with the machine. I'll try to figure this out next. Thanks for the input, Joe!

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Post by jeb2cav »

So now you are in the 2.5D carving aspect of VCarve Pro. You'll need to use Cut3D for a part of this workflow - as you would any 3D model you want to use with a VCarvePro project. There are better tutorials on the Vectric site than this old topic post - http://www.cncsharktalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=382

In the end, the .stl file is a 3d model file, treat it the same way you would a 3d model that you purchased when including it in your VCarve Pro project.

If or when you decide to upgrade to Aspire - you have the option to actually further refine your scan file using the 3D modeling tools that are a part of Aspire - http://www.cncsharktalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1176

SamPris

Post by SamPris »

Make certain you have selected STL as the file saving extension. Use the import file into vcarve via file menu, File Operations Icon 4th from the left or the Modeling tab Import component.
Hope that helps.

Frank

Psychomedic

Post by Psychomedic »

Thanks guys. Very helpful. So was this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVnjM60 ... VectricLtd.