4th axis taper

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

hmatyas@wi.rr.com

4th axis taper

Post by hmatyas@wi.rr.com »

I can't figure out what is wrong.
I tried "turning a cylinder that is 2 inches in diameter. What I got was a piece of wood 8 inches long that went from 1.9 inches to 2.18 inches.
I have a Shark HD 3. My lathe front radius is 1.723 and the tailstock radius is .25 inches.
In Vcarve I turned a 2 inch cylinder, from zero to 8 inches here are the dimensions.
1 inches 2 inches 3 inches 4 inches 5 inches 6 inches 7 inches 8 inches
1.9 1.95 1.97 2.01 2.06 2.09 2.14 2.18

I have set my zero first on the top of my front chuck and then moved it down to the tail stock, where I zeroed the
machine on top of the tail stock. I wonder, if I should zero it off of the tail stock 1/2 inch pin.

When I checked z zero, it looked like it was in the correct place for both the head stock and tail stock.
However, zero at the head stock was at zero but z at the tail stock was .2XX (I did not write it down).

Thanks for any suggestions.

hmatyas@wi.rr.com

Re: 4th axis taper

Post by hmatyas@wi.rr.com »

I found one mistake. I had the front radius at 1.725 not 1.75 inches. I still have a small taper about .04 inches over a 8 inch length.

Rando

Re: 4th axis taper

Post by Rando »

hmatyas:

Sorry nobody's responding to your query. I don't have any 4th axis equipment, so I'd only be guessing.

Just didn't want you to think we're all just ignoring you....though I guess technically we are :cry:

To me, it sounds like either the gantry isn't really parallel to the bed (bed misaligned?), or one of
the 4th axis parts isn't "on" the bed. Though 0.040" is a lot for "stuff" to be under one or the other,
ends, but only you can tell what's going on.

Hope you figure it out!

Rando
=====================================================
ThomR.com Creative tools and photographic art
A proud member of the Pacific Northwest CNC Club (now on Facebook)