3D Problem with 'Finishing Tool Path'.

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

Jeff Krogman

3D Problem with 'Finishing Tool Path'.

Post by Jeff Krogman »

Need any and all advice on tool path problem.
I have just started to do some 3D work. I've got design ready to go,Roughing tool path with a .25 ball nose works fine.
The finishing tool Path I am using a 0.0625 Ball nose, Shark is 'Zeroed', viewing tool path in 'PG' looks good. Problem is when I start carving
the 0.0625 ball nose is going further then design and first cut is approx. .25-.375 deep.I am totally lost. I ahve been thru tut's and double checked all
designs,tool spec's and 'pg's. Frustration 101!

Any and all comments are welcomed.

tonydude

Re: 3D Problem with 'Finishing Tool Path'.

Post by tonydude »

Jeff, can you upload the crv file? This way we can look at the problem. Usually when I do a 3D file I use a .25 endmill, then I use a .125 ball nose. Tony
Buffalo,NY

"What will matter is not what you bought but what you built; not what you got, but what you gave”

Aspire 11.015, photo vcarve, cnc mako shark extended bed with the new upgraded HD 5 gantry with Led pendent.

Jeff Krogman

Post by Jeff Krogman »

Tony
Having problems attaching files, any suggestion. I have attached 'PG' pic and the pic I took. Notice on my
pic the '0,0,0' point small hole and the bottom of oval, a slit cause by toolpath problem.

jeff
Attachments
3D EAGLE ON BRANCH PIC.bmp
DSCN0448.JPG
Last edited by Jeff Krogman on Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bob

Post by Bob »

Jeff,
How did you set your Z zero for the finishing cut? I'm wondering if you set it to the correct surface, and if you then saved it properly.
Also, Tony, I use the same tool selections as you.
Bob

Abbreviations really slow me down... what's a tut, pg, and PG?
"Focus"
Antonie Van Leeuwenhoek (Developer of the microscope.)

Jeff Krogman

Post by Jeff Krogman »

Tony confused on 'zeroing ' on finishing cut.
Jeff

Jeff Krogman

Post by Jeff Krogman »

Tut - tutorial, pg,PG - Program.

Sorry about that.

Buc

Post by Buc »

Jeff,

I believe what 'Bob' was asking did you set your 'Z' zero using the same surface. If you set your roughing tool 'Z' zero to the top of job material, you have to set 'Z' zero to the top of your material when setting 'Z' zero for the finishing tool. The finish tool should only be cutting approx. .030" depth. Once you establish 'X' and 'Y' zero postion you don't have to change them. But you have to establish a new 'Z' zero when changing tools.

I use the lower left-hand corner of my job material to set my 'X', 'Y', and 'Z' when setting up my 3D projects. Always make some sort of a mark there, so if I have a problem I can go back and find my zero starting point with ease.

Good news is, you can either fill in your BooBoo with some sort of material, or you can leave it alone and just tell everyone that this is a one of a kind 3D masterpiece. I have made a few one of a kind master pieces myself......

Your 3D model appears to be a copy written model. So don't post it. The copywrite police will hunt you down.

Buc
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Thomas A. Edison

The Only Easy Day Was Yesterday

Jeff Krogman

Post by Jeff Krogman »

Buc
Thanks for info. I am going to try again. Using any and all info posted.
I will let you know how it goes.

Jeff

Jeff Krogman

Post by Jeff Krogman »

Tony & Buc
Thanks for all the info. I am running second project and it is working fine.
I am not sure on what I was doing or wasn't doing, but this one is working fine.
Both projects are models out of Aspire 2.5. I"ll post pics when finished.

Thanks again!

Jeff