Error

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

geraldjohs

Error

Post by geraldjohs »

Just got my shark pro plus earlier this week. Tried running my 1st test piece tonight and got this error message "ncpodgcodecompiler.exe has stopped working." This error comes when I load the gcode. The gcode starts loading then the error message appears. Anybody have an answer??

Gerald

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Re: Error

Post by jeb2cav »

Hi Gerald,

I haven't seen that error when using the Shark Pro Plus. However, from my other life, it sounds like you may not have successfully installed either the vcredist_x86.exe or the Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5. Both are available from the NextWave site - http://www.nextwaveautomation.com/DownLoads.aspx.

After running these installers, if you still get this, try uninstalling the Basic Control Panel and re-installing. Beyond that, a phone call or email to Rockwell for tech support...

Good luck.

geraldjohs

Post by geraldjohs »

Strange!! Installed all the software on my desktop computer & everything works. Reinstalled software on laptop & still get the error message. I think the problem is the Driver doesn't install properly. When I plug the USB cable into the computer (laptop) I get this error:

"Device driver software was not successfully installed
Please consult with your device manufacture for assistance getting this device installed.
Unknown Device X Failed"

Gerald

geraldjohs

Post by geraldjohs »

Joe:

The microsoft .net framework 3.5, says it's for windows xp & vista. I'm using windows 7, does that make a difference. Got it to work on my desktop which has windows 7 as well.

Gerald

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Post by jeb2cav »

Hi Gerald,

In the end, I don't know and can't poke around to make a better guess as I'm running Vista and XP Pro - no 7. Some ideas (shooting in the dark) for what it's worth.

1. I'm not sure I understand the steps you took when you installed on your desktop and it all "worked". Did you install the net 3.5? Did you run both the vcredist_x86 and the net 3.5 installer before installing the basic panel?

2. Finding that the device driver didn't install correctly may in fact be causing the other app to fail. As you've seen, the documentation is a little thin. I had an entirely different experience than described when installing the software and drivers, but figured out the right steps for XP. I talked with Tim Owens and he stated that what I found made sense, as I wasn't installing on a Vista or Win 7 (laptop is XP). It sounds like you've already tried uninstalling from the control panel and reinstalling. Assuming your desktop and laptop are both 7 (not listed in recommended sequence, just some ideas to try/look at):

a. On the laptop, find your power management stuff and ensure that your usb ports are all set to never sleep when power cord is in. Same with the monitor/display and hard drive.

b. Run add/remove programs on both the desktop and laptop and compare the .net installations and the Microsoft Visual C++ 2008... in the lists. If something present on the desktop but not on the laptop and it is .net or MS Visual C++ 2008 related, that may be the problem.

c. Uninstall the app from the laptop, run a disk clean to remove any temporary files, reboot, and try installing again. This time, ensure USB is not plugged in when installing. After successful install, plug in usb and turn on Shark Controller. You may get a found new software prompt. Don't let it search the internet, select install automatically, probably have to click install anyway (not MS certified) and then see if this goes away. I found several things not written down or slightly different for XP than described in the instruction manual. I have a post on the subject http://www.cncsharktalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=260, but again this was an XP Pro environment.

At any time since you've installed the software on your laptop and setup the shark, have you been able to jog the gantry from the basic control panel?

Did you connect your desktop to the shark and can you jog the gantry and have you run a simple test project on the shark using the desktop? If that's the case (it works from desktop) and the above don't clear it, Rockler tech support/NextWave may in fact find that there is something unique about the laptop setup/configuration/hardware that exposes a bug in their driver. In their defense, there are a lot of laptops out there, some with some pretty hinky proprietary stuff, and no manufacturer can test their drivers against all of them.

You might also be asked to uninstall either or both the .net and MS Visual installations from the laptop, reinstall, and try again. You could try this if a-c don't work if you want to:

d. Uninstall the basic control panel. Uninstall Microsoft C++ 2008 (may be more than one line with updates). Not sure about .net 3.5 in a Win 7 environment. Reboot. Download clean copies of Shark software and vcredist_x86.exe (this install the C++). Run a windows update (this will get latest MS updates to C++). Install basic control panel with USB not plugged in. Try from there.

And of course, none of my ideas may lead to positive results as I don't have Win 7 so can't try some things to give better advice - sorry. Hopefully Rockwell or NextWave will chime in soon.

geraldjohs

Post by geraldjohs »

Update

It's been about 1 months since I got my shark pro plus. Still get the error message when I try to load the gcode "ncpodgcodecompiler.exe has stopped working." Frustration level is (well we won't go there.)

So far I have tried:
Returned 1st new HP laptop & purchased a Toshiba laptop. Get error message with both.
Tried everthing Joe mentioned in last post. Uninstall & reinstall vcredist_x86 & shark control panel.
Been emailing Tim from Next Wave (very slow process). Sent control box back, they test it ( change a card I think)

Works on my desktop computer (which has windows 7). Tried a friends laptop computer (which has windows 7) doesn't work on there computer either. So I tried 3 laptop computers & get the error message on all 3.

The jog fuction works on the laptops that I get the error message. I'm positive that everything is installing right.

Gerald

PS Joe, Next Wave should hire you to publish a new instruction manual.

tradewinds

Post by tradewinds »

I understand this is an old post, but was wondering if the issue was ever resolved as I am getting a similar error message from my HP laptop, which is running Windows 7. The error message is:
USB Device is unknown, but it is sporadic. In the meantime I have contacted Next Wave's tech support.

Eagle55

Post by Eagle55 »

I think in the end it was probably just a matter of doing thing in the order prescribed or going back and reinstalling you controller software. I know I used XP and then later jumped to a computer that ran Windows 8 and didn't have any problems. I am sure windows 7 is doable but seems like there was something about authority level when you installed the program or exactly where in the system directory you place something. Calling NWA would be my choice if you have this problem. Maybe they have answered you by now.

Roger
CNC Shark HD ~ Control Panel 2.0 ~ Windows 7 & XP
Located in West Tennessee near the Tennessee River
http://www.eaglecarver4.com