Has anyone used the shark on stone?

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

rmlsna

Has anyone used the shark on stone?

Post by rmlsna »

Just wondering if anybody has used the shark on stone or concrete for carving?

Dash

Re: Has anyone used the shark on stone?

Post by Dash »

Good Morning!!!
This is the question of the year....I have been wanting to do this since I bought my shark. The only thing I would EVEN attempt is a soft stone. Travertine or a soft sandstone. I am a flooring installer so engraving in stone would be THE BOMB!! I have cut one stone, travertine, engraved a business name and then below, a 3d design. (no I don't have pics) I used a 60 v bit for the name and a 1/8 ball nose for the 3d. Ruined the ball nose but the v bit was fine. The machine did great for not having any cooling mech to cool the bit and my feed rate was very slow due to deflection.
If I could cut what I need to out of stone, I could make a small fortune. The problems I found is: Bits need to be diamond bits. None found. Cooling mechanism needed, Don't think our machines would like water too much. Dust. Stone has such a fine dust, it will get into many places plain ole saw dust wont get into. Stone dust will be very abrasive.....
I'll keep you in mind as i continue to look into cutting stone. If I learn some thing, Ill post. Course, I have moved on to other things for the time being.......Thankfully!!!!
Good Luck,
Dash

Keith Hodges

Post by Keith Hodges »

I'm wondering about a diamond drag bit, since that's what their for. Got one, but haven't taken the time to try it yet though.
Being retired is hard work. Spending way too much time in the shop these days. (And loving it).
Shark Pro Plus HD, Vcarve Pro, Photo V Carve, Cut 3D, scan probe.

WoodEraser

Post by WoodEraser »

I would be very cautious as the fine dust could be very abrasive to the machine's moving axis's.
Eric the "WoodEraser"
Sun City Center, Florida

If today were perfect there would be no need for tomorrow.

sk8nmike

Post by sk8nmike »

I would suggest building a system to flood the carving area with water or cutting oil.

As for the carving itself, the shark is capable of carving what ever you can place on the table as long as you have the right bit and take your time. The harder the material shallower and slower you want to cut.