Router placement

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

greg1955

Router placement

Post by greg1955 »

i just received my shark 60th anniversary. I bought porter cable 892 router and was wondering how far down in the collar do you push the router. Thanks

tonydude

Re: Router placement

Post by tonydude »

I put mine down as far as it will go.Make sure you loosen the top front bolts and the front bolt facing you, before you put it in. Tighten up the front bolt first then tighten the front top bolts on top of the clamp to secure the router from slipping in the clamp.

Tony
Buffalo,NY

"What will matter is not what you bought but what you built; not what you got, but what you gave”

Aspire 11.015, photo vcarve, cnc mako shark extended bed with the new upgraded HD 5 gantry with Led pendent.

Eagle55

Post by Eagle55 »

Not that my answer is strictly about router placement but it does cover it. I have been using 690 router motors for 3 years and the second set of bearings is about to go on the the one I had in there, so I had sometime ago bought an 892 to replace it with. When my clamp broke I took the opportunity handed me to change to the new router that was going to allow me to drop the RPM and lengthen the bearing life. I also replace the clamp that is one of the several weaknesses of the Shark. Here are a couple pictures of my new arrangement. Mount by Dixie Billet was a perfect and flawless replacement. I mounted the router about an inch over the mount so as not to give up too much vertical height clearance. Sorry for the poor focus but its clear the original mount snapped. Not a good choice of material for this particular part.

Roger
Attachments
SH107532.JPG
SH107533.JPG
CNC Shark HD ~ Control Panel 2.0 ~ Windows 7 & XP
Located in West Tennessee near the Tennessee River
http://www.eaglecarver4.com

sk8nmike

Post by sk8nmike »

The further down in the clamp you place the router, the more side pressure can deflect the bit. This isn't much of an issue with small bits and v-bits, but the deeper you cut and with larger bits it will become more apparent. I mount my router as close to the collet as I can and still have enough clearance over the table clamps

greg1955

Post by greg1955 »

I really appreciate the answers. Thanks guys