Bits

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

MikeDe1025

Bits

Post by MikeDe1025 »

Hey gang. The "Bling box" that is one of the monthly freebies from Vectric.com calls for the use of a 1/4" tapered ballnose with 7 degree pitch and a 1/16" tapered ballnose also with a 7 degree pitch. (The others called for I have already) Well, I've looked online until my eyeballs are aching. I cannot find them. Has anyone here made that Bling Box but used alternative bits than what was called for? Was it successful? OR, does anyone know where I can obtain such bits of those sizes.

Thanks,
Mike

sk8nmike

Re: Bits

Post by sk8nmike »

Tapered bits are measured on the half-angle of the bit. The Tapered Ball Nose Bits from most suppliers fall into that range. PreciseBits is 5.4 degrees for a 1/16" ball nose , Amana is 6.2

Tapered Ballnose.jpg

MikeDe1025

Post by MikeDe1025 »

Thank you, Mike. Ya, I am familiar with the half bit degree sizing. But, other than finding the perfect size and degree called for in that project (if you're familiar with it) what do you think the result would be if I were to use a lesser degree angle than what they call for in their program? Let's just say that I can only find the bit with a 6 degree angle instead of the 7 called for. First, do you think that small difference is very noticable and if it is a tolerable angle to use instead of 7 then is this where I would go into the tool adding part of the software and enter the dimensions of this lesser degree bit, recalculate, and the program will adjust accordingly between the 7 and the 6? I hope I'm not twisting this question out of shape.

Thanks again,
Mike

sk8nmike

Post by sk8nmike »

A smaller angle will give you a cleaner detail, Higher resolution. But when you consider the difference of 1 degree over and 1/8th or 1/4" of depth it's not much

MikeDe1025

Post by MikeDe1025 »

Thanks yet again, Mike. That was a great help in my decision.

Mike