Joy Stick for Shark Pro Plus

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

Chips

Joy Stick for Shark Pro Plus

Post by Chips »

For convenience I would like to add a Joy Stick to my Shark Pro Plus. Looking for recommendations on which make and model to purchase. I am running Win 7 Proffessional with a Asus laptop.
Thank you in advance,
Chips

Consultingwoodworker

Re: Joy Stick for Shark Pro Plus

Post by Consultingwoodworker »

I'm unclear what advantage a joystick would give. Jogging the head can be done using the arrow keys on your laptop, and the Z-axis is controlled with the page up/page down buttons. In 15 years of running all sorts of industrial CNCs I have yet to see a joystick.

Ralph

BobA

Post by BobA »

Thanks Ralph

A very good tip. Do you have any more short cuts.

Bob

Consultingwoodworker

Bob,

Still learning my way around this machine, but I've been programming and running CNCs for a lot of years. Back when I started, you wrote your own G-code line by line!

Jigging and fixturing for CNCs is sort of my specialty, so if you have questions, don't hesitate to ask them on this forum, there are many skilled and creative users here.

Ralph

Chips

Post by Chips »

I guess from the response to my request about a joy stick was silly considering I'm using a laptop computer. For the record I'm a little lazy and get tired of carrying the laptop to and from the shark to setup the X Y Z. Thanks for the reply.
Chips

Consultingwoodworker

Chips, left you a long explanation and apology on the other joystick thread.
I was honestly curious.

I have my Shark mounted on a rolling cart. The laptop sits on the left of my shark so I only have to sidestep to move from computer to machine. I secured a plywood vertical divider between the laptop and machine to keep most of the dust and chips off my laptop.

I can see where a joystick mounted right with the machine could work for jogging, but with my set up I only need to reach out with my left hand to jog the machine. I'll post a pic tonight.

Also, I have an odd little handheld trackball mouse I got years ago. You slip a finger through it and click the button like a pistol. That might do what you need too. I'll try to post info on it tonight as well.

Ralph

theremin

Post by theremin »

What about the "Pendant Control Capability Included" that Next Wave mentions on its website? If you put a USB hub right next to the Shark controller and hooked the numeric keypad up there, it would be very convenient. I might give this a try since I have the same issue that Chips does. Ralph's setup sounds nice, but I've got so much stuff crammed into my little shop that I don't really have room for the rolling cart, but I have a drafting table within USB cable distance from the Shark, and that's where my laptop sits.

Dave

Chips

Post by Chips »

Dave,

Thank you for the idea and direction. I just ordered a Logitech Cordless Number Pad. I will let the computer do the work and not fuss with the CNC controller. I will let you know how it works out.

Chips

Consultingwoodworker

Chip, does the cordless number pad include the directional arrows? I have one at home, but never use it and cannot remember.

Either that or a cordless keyboard would be a great solution for jogging at a distance from the laptop. You need the four arrow keys for X and Y axis jogging, and the page up/page down buttons for Z- axis control.

Updated using the keys over the mouse buttons because if you accidentally click the right mouse button, the axis will lock on until you click again. Very disconcerting if you do it by accident! (don't ask how I found this out!)

Ralph

Bob

Post by Bob »

OK,
Now I'm really starting to get interested in this cordless number pad idea. I look forward to hearing how this turns out. For example: would the "9" and "3" keys function as pg up and pg down? Would 4, 8, 6, and 2 function as directional keys? Would it turn out to be as fail-safe as using the computer keypad? This has the potential to be a nifty way to control direction.
Thanks,
Bob
"Focus"
Antonie Van Leeuwenhoek (Developer of the microscope.)