Carving Lettering in Acrylic

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

RSO1091

Carving Lettering in Acrylic

Post by RSO1091 »

Hi Guys, I tried to search the forum to answer my question, but had no luck. The issue involves carving lettering in 8th inch acrylic. I am using a 60 degree v-bit and sometimes have luck, but other times the bit seems to get clogged with the plastic build-up during the carving process. This of course causes a poor final product. I have tried varying the bit speed and the feed rate, but haven't hit on the right combination as yet. Any tips or guidance would be appreciated. I have a Shark Black Diamond CNC using a Porter-Cable 8902 router.

Thanks, Henry

Kevink18

Re: Carving Lettering in Acrylic

Post by Kevink18 »

you need to use cast acrylic

tonydude

Post by tonydude »

Slow down the rpm's to 10,000 and your feed rate at 100 or more. Don't go too deep either. Always use cast acrylic to keep the acrylic from melting also make sure your bits are sharp. I have done 100's of acrylic carvings.

Tony
Buffalo,NY

"What will matter is not what you bought but what you built; not what you got, but what you gave”

Aspire 11.015, photo vcarve, cnc mako shark extended bed with the new upgraded HD 5 gantry with Led pendent.

RSO1091

Post by RSO1091 »

OK, cast acrylic seems to be the key. I appreciate the advice guys.

Henry

Keith Hodges

Post by Keith Hodges »

Once the carving is done, you might try running the file a second time. If I have melting, I'll lower my Z setting about .005, and run the CNC at high speed, usually cleans everything up.
Being retired is hard work. Spending way too much time in the shop these days. (And loving it).
Shark Pro Plus HD, Vcarve Pro, Photo V Carve, Cut 3D, scan probe.