routers

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

mchurchf

routers

Post by mchurchf »

I just purchased the Shark3D and am trying to decide which router I should use.I am looking at the Bosch1617. Dewalt618 and the Porter Cable892. All are 2.25 routers but the DeWalt is $40 more. Any advice would be much appreciated, thanks

4DThinker

Re: routers

Post by 4DThinker »

I've run both the PC and the Dewalt. Both have their good and bad "features".
You can get a precision collet set for the PC. They don't make one for the Dewalt.
The collet lock pin in the PC is pot metal. It bends, which means it fails.
Of the three Dewalt 618s I'm using one has had the collet pin snap out.
Neither should run long periods at top speed. Their bearings simply aren't designed to. You'll get considerably longer life by never running them faster than 18,000rpm or so.
You should be able to find the Dewalt at the same or lower price than the PC. I've seen them for $150: http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DW618-Elec ... 618+router

tonydude

Post by tonydude »

I use the porter cable model 892 and had no problem with it at all, been using mine for 2 yrs now. I run between 10,000 rpms and 18,000 rpms no higher. You can change between 1/4" and 1/2" collet which is a big advantage.

Tony
Buffalo,NY

"What will matter is not what you bought but what you built; not what you got, but what you gave”

Aspire 11.015, photo vcarve, cnc mako shark extended bed with the new upgraded HD 5 gantry with Led pendent.

Eagle55

Post by Eagle55 »

I personally selected the PC 892 because I started with 690's (that is intended to be plural!) With the Porter Cable I already had the Precise Bits collet and didn't want to have to rebuy for another brand, so I went to the PC892 after I had worn the bearings out of the first 690 (RPM is too high for the design of the bearings and the constant running that CNC demands) I was well into wearing out the bearings of the second router when the 892 was on a great sale so I bought it even before I wore out the second 690. I did however take the opportunity that I was given when the Shark router clamp broke and I replaced it with one by Dixie Billet (excellent replacement for the factory clamp... can't figure out why NWA doesn't modify some of the known problems...) and put my 892 in place and run it most of the time around 18,000 rpm which according to bearing authorities will give me much longer life at constant running speeds. I think all brands have their plus and minus features and any choice would be good given that you have variable speed to wind it down to a more appropriate speed for long bearing life. Again, I feel a spindle is good for CNC but at $800 I could replace my 892 two or three times and usually have a rebuild-able router to use for other things in the process. Maybe noise would be a good feature for a spindle but then I rarely stick around once I get my machine going and earplugs are cheap. Many good options and just because I may differ in my choice doesn't make it a bad choice on their part.... it just worked better for me in my particular situation.

Roger
CNC Shark HD ~ Control Panel 2.0 ~ Windows 7 & XP
Located in West Tennessee near the Tennessee River
http://www.eaglecarver4.com

mchurchf

Post by mchurchf »

Thanks guys, I can't wait to get this up and running. I have to build a stand and order more bits.

TomTurner

Post by TomTurner »

Just a note but it appears that Precise Bits has stopped providing the precision collets for the Porter Cable routers. More info available on their web site as to why.

Tom

Eagle55

Post by Eagle55 »

Wow Tom, I was a little surprised to hear that. I went on their website and caught up with stuff that had been happening for quite some time. I guess for once my habits paid off. The 892 router that I just installed a few weeks ago was actually bought in December 2012 about 6 months before the first reports of the problem on the 890 series routers. (Gee, am I a tool hoarder or what?? Have a tool 2+ years before I use it) I will be going back and checking my router but suspect it is ok since I haven't been having problems OR don't do anything that I would notice it although I occationally engrave sub 1/8" lettering. Thanks for the correction. I think at this point it would be good the withdraw my recommendation for the PC 890 router even though it was a really nice choice at one point in time. Guess I need to start back hanging around the forums a little more. Just been caught up in more than I could handle at times.

Roger

BillK

Post by BillK »

Really glad to see all you taking the advice of the bearing expert, whoever that was, and being kind to your router's bearings.

Its quite something to think about the speeds we run at. My company recently purchased a Tormach cnc Milling machine and since I'm the only one with cnc experience, I get to "write" the programs using V-carve. Recently we were cutting A2 tool steel using a 1/2" endmill. The settings were 340 rpm at 2 inches per minute feedrate. Quite a different world in the metal cutting realm.
BillK
http://www.Facebook.com/CarvingsbyKurtz
Instagram: carvingsbykurtz
Twitter: @CBKwoodcarver

Eagle55

Post by Eagle55 »

Yeah Bill,
Its been so long ago, I wonder who that wise ole sage in the bearing industry was that clued us into the mystery of why our bearings were failing in some routers (large diameter bearings) and not in some routers (small diameter bearings designed for high speed). That's what is so awesome about the forum. Its a great place to congregate and get the benefit of everyone's experience. I just haven't had a lot of time lately, hence I didn't even know there was a issue with the 892 router and other PC models. Fortunately for me I bought mine before the issue appeared and when I could get a great price (and before Amazon started charging sales tax in Tennessee) plus another $20 promotion on top of that, plus some credit card rebates. I think I bought my 892 for about $145, then wound up letting it set in the sealed box for almost 2 1/2 years before I had to buy a Dixie Billet clamp and put it on.

I do wish some of the newer guys would take advantage of some of the stuff that has been hashed over in the past and still on the forum archives for the searching. Coming back after a time of seldom visits, I find a lot of the same things being learned over and over again when the forum contains some really great advice on the issues many times. One of which is the wise advise that "speed kills" when it comes to cnc in general and especially with a machine as flexible (physically) as the Shark. Its funny how some of the posted projects have the telltale signs of what I call "router bit farts" where the machine is dancing around so fast that the heavy router actually bounces on the material rather being a digital, accurate cut. The Shark can do some wonderful things and I think its still a good choice despite NWA's sometimes distant approach to support. I have really enjoyed mine and up to this point with the exception of the poor material choice for the router clamp, (easily rectified) have had almost no failures that were not related to my oversight. I have done a lot of things with my CNC and I guess in retrospect have paid for it although it seemed like a long time doing it. I looked back on some of my "headstone" sales recently and realize that just the headstones alone have paid for my Shark and I still have a ton of other projects that I have worked on.

Wow, now I bet its hard learning how to program the big CNC's. How unfortunate that you have to "learn" how to program with a foreign program! LOL I bet it is a different realm, but they certainly made a wise choice on program writers. Hope everything is going well. I'm glad to see you are very active on the forum.... I for one have benefited greatly from your vast knowledge and I know many others have too.

Roger

BillK

Post by BillK »

Yes, Roger, you are correct, we are on a short cycle of history repeating itself here. I've answered serveral posts by pointing out there is a fully functional search button at the upper right, lol.

Joe did a great job writing the shark owner's manual, but I feel this forum is as close as we'll get to a cnc carver's manual.
Tons of free info. here for all to use.
BillK
http://www.Facebook.com/CarvingsbyKurtz
Instagram: carvingsbykurtz
Twitter: @CBKwoodcarver