Is the Shark HD3 Upto the Task?

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

Proflemoi

Is the Shark HD3 Upto the Task?

Post by Proflemoi »

Hello All,

I am struggling with trying to choose the best CNC machine to add to my Woodworking business. I have read a great deal about the Shark HD3, spoken with numerous people and I am struggling with making a choice on what CNC machine to buy. I suspect this topic is replete throughout the Shark CNC forum (which is a god send btw) so I thought if I narrowed down the parameters a bit I might get some good advice since we are all, after all, woodworkers.

1. Requirements:
a. $6500-$7,000 budget for the machine and the software
b. Made in the USA would be nice.... but not a requirement.
c. Excellent customer service
d. great support (which this group does x 1000)

2. Models considered:
a. Shark HD3 with extended Bed
b. Shopbot Desktop
c. Legacy Explorer
d. Stinger I

3. Uses:
My plan is to do a great deal of inlay and to make some customized furniture, entry tables, coffee tables, signs, etc. I will also be making lots of smaller items for craft shows, eBay, etc... I would like to add the 4th access so I can eventually do some table legs, etc... To start I am wanting to do some of the smaller items that I mentioned but eventually I will be wanting to cut parts for unique and new furniture designs.

4. I am an experienced woodworker and I am VERY tech Savvy. (I was a Technology Director for well over a 20 years, until I decided to move on to something more gratifying, woodworking and custom cabinetry.)

5. Considerations:
a. I would like an accurate machine that can reproduce parts and cuts (especially for inlay) with a high degree of accuracy. (Many people who have had or have a Shark have commented on the variation of accuracy especially on the Z axis while others have said they had no issues) mostly I have heard about flex issues...

b. Speed is an issue too... I would rather not spend 4 hours running the machine to do a small relief carving if possible but since I am not cranking out dozens of pieces a day, I am willing to be somewhat patient.

c. Build Quality. It is important (Especially in the 6-7K range that I have something that will last.) Many of the other brands (Shopbot, Legacy, etc..) all tout impressive all metal construction while the Shark does have a plastic casing... has this been an issue for you Sharkers out there?

Many who have started with the shark moved "up" to a Shopbot or one of the other brands saying the Shark is (if you will forgive these words of others) more of a hobby machine rather than a production device, while others (especially here in the CNC forum) love their sharks.

So in the end I need to pick something that will work for me, this is a rather critical purchase for my business so I want to get it right. This forum has been great and I have learned a great deal on CNC sharks but now that you all know what I am looking for I am hopeful you will share your viewpoints.

Kindest Regards,
Proflemoi

rungemach

Re: Is the Shark HD3 Upto the Task?

Post by rungemach »

You may have better luck in posting this question at the Vecric forum, or a forum that is not sponsored by a particular machine manufacturer.

I would suspect that those who have "moved on" from their Sharks may frequent this site less often.
The best advice comes form folks that have owned or used several brands.

A lot of the advice in this forum can be applicable to other machines, and I have found good suggestions on other manufacturers forums as well.

If you are mechanically and electrically inclined, a used larger machine may be worth considering.

With any significant investment, it pays to take the time to do your homework.

Bob

McBuster

Post by McBuster »

You may also want to consider Axiom. www.AxiomPrecision.com
Jon ...
Woodbury Mn

Proflemoi

Post by Proflemoi »

McBuster wrote:You may also want to consider Axiom. http://www.AxiomPrecision.com
Jon,
Interesting idea... do you (or anyone else) have any experience with the Axiom... I know they are the "new kid on the block" wondering how these units preform... I like the fact that it comes with a spindle :)

Proflemoi

Post by Proflemoi »

rungemach wrote:You may have better luck in posting this question at the Vecric forum, or a forum that is not sponsored by a particular machine manufacturer.

I would suspect that those who have "moved on" from their Sharks may frequent this site less often.
The best advice comes form folks that have owned or used several brands.

A lot of the advice in this forum can be applicable to other machines, and I have found good suggestions on other manufacturers forums as well.

If you are mechanically and electrically inclined, a used larger machine may be worth considering.

With any significant investment, it pays to take the time to do your homework.

Bob
Thank you Bob.... I guess what I am hoping to hear from the users here is if they experienced any major problems with their sharks and would they buy a Shark HD3 if they were looking at doing the types of things I have listed above... Still very much on the fence about what to get! :/

4DThinker

Post by 4DThinker »

Another brand to consider is Probotix. I have a Shark Pro at home and an HD 2.0 at work, but we've also added Probotix.com's Meteor and Nebula to the CNCs at work. The frame design is convenient for opening up to cut vertically/at an angle as it uses 2 Y motors. and nothing runs under the table to get in the way.