Shark Piranha vs Piranha FX

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

rayray

Shark Piranha vs Piranha FX

Post by rayray »

I am thinking of getting the Shark Piranha, not the FX -- just the 'plain' one. I know the FX includes the Laser and the 3D printer heads; my question is: Are the Laser and/or the 3D heads available to 'add-on' to the plain Piranha? Second, is the Bosch router worth paying $120 for? I have a Porter Cable hand-held, would it not work just as well? I realize that the stock mount won't work, but there is an available bracket for the PC (Rockler $35)?

Mimbler

Re: Shark Piranha vs Piranha FX

Post by Mimbler »

I can't speak as to whether the add-ons will work (I have the plain piranha and have the same question), but don't get the colt. Get a dewalt 611 as it has much less runout. Precise bits will not even make a precision collet for the colt anymore. I have both and the dewalt with a precision collet measured at less than .001 TIR runout.

To be fair, if you don't plan on doing anything that really requires precision, then the colt would be fine. I use a couple of them for basic woodworking tasks, but I do shell inlay which uses tiny bits and since the cost is about the same for either the colt or the dewalt, for me the decision is easy.
Mike

rayray

Post by rayray »

You don't think the Porter Cable would work? I guess I could measure the R/O on it.. Wouldn't cost me anything for that matter to try it..Well, I would be out the $35 for the mount, but....

Mimbler

Post by Mimbler »

Which porter cable is it? if it is the 7310, I think it is the same as the dewalt but under a different brand. If you already have it, you can measure the runout and see if you would be happy with it.
Mike

WoodEraser

Post by WoodEraser »

The dewalt has 1.24 HP vs Colts 1.0 HP
Eric the "WoodEraser"
Sun City Center, Florida

If today were perfect there would be no need for tomorrow.

rayray

Post by rayray »

Porter Cable 7310, apparently includes the 7301 router and when you add the base, it becomes the 7310....?? But, yes, that is the one I have...
I would probably try it and not buy another router unless it turns out not OK..

Mimbler

Post by Mimbler »

I think you'll be fine. That is the same as the dewalt. I have both and only the color is different.
Mike

TDA

Post by TDA »

The Porter Cable 73xx routers are not the same as the Dewalt 611. The one that's pretty similar to the Dewalt 611 is the Porter Cable 450. We looked at the 73xx router a while back and most of them we saw had poor runout in the router itself. Not trying to talk anyone into anything, just wanted to clear up any confusion.
John Torrez
Think & Tinker / PreciseBits

Mimbler

Post by Mimbler »

TDA wrote:The Porter Cable 73xx routers are not the same as the Dewalt 611. The one that's pretty similar to the Dewalt 611 is the Porter Cable 450. We looked at the 73xx router a while back and most of them we saw had poor runout in the router itself. Not trying to talk anyone into anything, just wanted to clear up any confusion.
Thanks John,
I made my post relying on memory, and that was a mistake. I appreciate you getting the correct info out.
Regards Mike

meb

Post by meb »

Dewalt 611 and the Porter Cable 450 are made in the same factory. The difference is the Dewalt 611 is variable speed, hp rating is the same, the mounting bracket will be the same dia. The precision collet set sold by precisebits.com for the Dewalt fits the Porter Cable.

You might have problems getting the feeds and speeds close because you can't adjust the speeds with the router so you might find the feeds you calculate are too fast for the CNC Piranha to handle. It is a tight little CNC so you might get faster feeds than you could get with the older Sharks.

I think they are planning to make the laser and 3d printhead available as add-on units but don't quote me on that.