Auto-on/off dust collection

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

scubanimal

Auto-on/off dust collection

Post by scubanimal »

I'm sure this must have been discussed, and I'm just choosing the wrong search words.

Has anyone figured out how to have a dust collector come on/off with the router using the control box? I know the power to the box is not enough to drive both; but want to have the dust collector come on and off with the program. I was looking at the iVac switches and while it has what appears to be independent power inputs but don't know how I would get the auto on/off to work.

Just wondering if any has solved this?

Thank you,

meb

Re: Auto-on/off dust collection

Post by meb »

You need an auto switch like this one with the two different power plugs. The power plug on the switch for the tool goes into the outlet on the Shark control box, the plug of the router goes into the tool power outlet on the switch, the plug for the vac goes into the outlet on the switch marked vacuum power and the plug from the switch for the vacuum goes into a wall outlet.

http://www.woodcraft.com/product/149950 ... witch.aspx

TomTurner

Post by TomTurner »

The iVac solution works great. I have a set up with my Shark, table saw and plane set up with each one being able to turn on the vacuum. In my case I also have the automated valves for each of them. Only the valve on the device being used opens.

One note of caution relative to the size of your vacuum - if you have a larger motor they recommend a separate contactor. If you don't put one in you will work for a while but then the switch will likely fail. ( experience speaking)

There are two devices that can be used to trigger the switch.

First is a unit that plugs into the wall and you plug your tool into the unit. When you turn your tool on the device wirelessly turns on the device that the vacuum is connected to. When your tool turns off sfter a delay the vacuum turns off.

The second unit clamps around the power cord of the tool. This unit is powered by USB type power supply and functions the same as the first unit.

Both of these units can have addresses set for them allowing multiple dust collectors/vacuums or automated valves.

Tom

scubanimal

Post by scubanimal »

Thank you guys,
Tom, please could you elaborate a bit more on which iVac parts those are. I like idea of the device wrapped around the router wirelessly turning on the dust collector. My DC is pulling nearly 20 amps at start, so that end must be capable. The standard iVac Max's at 15.

Again thank you, sounds like there is a solution.

Ian

TomTurner

Post by TomTurner »

Ian,

On a short trip now - will do as soon as I return.

Tom

bill z

Post by bill z »

I bought a 110VAC 30A DPDT relay for $15.00 (some as cheap as $10.00). The controller runs the relay only. When the relay toggles, both the vacuum and the router comes on. It will handle up to 30 amps.

I put in a single gang box with a normal $.68 outlet from HD where I plug in the router and vacuum.

A similar set up can be done if your vacuum is 220 Volts

These relays can be purchased in a bunch of places. Here are some to look at http://www.ebay.com/bhp/120v-30a-relay

Hope this helps.

scubanimal

Post by scubanimal »

Thank you all for your inputs and suggestions. In my case my Shark is on one side of the garage, and the dust collection in an outside shed on the far side. So a wireless set up sounds ideal.

Still not really confident I've identified the correct iVac components. The dust collector is 115v 20amp.

Thank you for your continued suggestions :)