Cleaning and greasing

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

southern pastures

Cleaning and greasing

Post by southern pastures »

I have had my Shark HD3 about 2 months now and I can see some build-up on the slides and ball screws. What does everyone else use to clean everything up nice? Grease? Thanks

sharkcutup

Re: Cleaning and greasing

Post by sharkcutup »

I have had my HD3 Pro Extended Bed unit not quite a month now. I have done a few projects out of MDF (fine particle dust) and select pine. Shark has been vacuumed after each use but does not need a rub down and spray just yet.

I have read that Next Wave Automation recommends the Dupont Teflon Silicone Spray. I have picked up a can at my nearest hardware store. I have not yet used it but will post when I do.

Have a GREAT DAY!!! ;)
V-Carve Pro Tips, Gadget Tips & Videos
YouTube Channel - Sharkcutup CNC
V-Carve Pro 11.554

cjablonski

Post by cjablonski »

I agree with shark. I have had my pro plus HD for around 4 years now. I also use the Teflon spray and it seems to not collect much more dust. No problems with its use over all these years.
"I'm not smart, I just remain on problems longer"
Albert Einstein

Making many BTU by experimentation. ...some days it gets too warm :)

SawDust913

Post by SawDust913 »

I have had my Shark HD for over 4 years and use Silicone spray, I have used the DuPont and can not see a lot of difference in brands. I would NOT use oil or grease as this will really build up a gooey mess, in a short time. I use Vacuum and forced air to clean dust, I don't let it build up. Silicone drys in just a few min and repels the dust.

southern pastures

Awesome, thanks all. I too have been doing a lot of MDF work, which makes a fine mess even with the dust collector hooked up.

cjablonski

Post by cjablonski »

We shall n o t succumb to hijackers!
Albert Einstein

southern pastures

cjablonski wrote:We shall n o t succumb to hijackers!
Ummmm ??????

cjablonski

Post by cjablonski »

southern pastures wrote:
cjablonski wrote:We shall n o t succumb to hijackers!
Ummmm ??????
Was just trying to keep this post on the front page of the forum along with others as there seemed to be interest in it. "Hijacking " reference was about "cheap Jordans " is all :).
Albert Einstein

jdsmith500

Post by jdsmith500 »

I have used DuPont teflon silicon spray on my table saw for several years. It works great and does not collect dust. I have had my Shark HD 3 for a couple of months and I intend using the same product on it. Avoid anything that collects dust, such as oil or grease.

James

NewAgent45

Post by NewAgent45 »

I agree with the community you should only use dry non-stick types of lube. I prefer to use the squeeze bottle product like the one in the picture. I have used the Aerosol spray too. But I don't want to risk getting any lube on finished material because it can affect finishing products. You can use a small rag or piece of paper towel to directly apply the product to the xyz linear bearings. You only need to use small amounts of this product so the 4oz bottle lasts a long time. I have been lubing my machine monthly for about two and a half years now with no issues.
TFE Dry Lube.jpg

... Rod