Keyhole Slot for hanging. Desktop Vcarve program

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

BLM Enterprise

Keyhole Slot for hanging. Desktop Vcarve program

Post by BLM Enterprise »

I am needing to know how to make a keyhole slot in the back of my signs for hanging. I have Desktop Vcarve program. Thanks

Buc

Re: Keyhole Slot for hanging. Desktop Vcarve program

Post by Buc »

Try this tap file. Dry run it and use scrap before you do your finish keyslot.
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Thomas A. Edison

The Only Easy Day Was Yesterday

TAW

Post by TAW »

not knowing what are running for software,,,,, you should have a keyhole program under your gadgets- drop box- keyhole
There you can type in whether you want it to run n-s or e-w- how long- depth- which end you want to start on.

BLM Enterprise

Post by BLM Enterprise »

I am running Desktop Vcarve which doesn't have it. Thanks

sharkcutup

Post by sharkcutup »

keyhole_toolpath.jpg
I use V-Carve Pro 8.024 and it has Keyhole Toolpath program on the Gadgets Drop Box Menu.

Have a GREAT DAY!!! :D

Be SAFE around those AWESOME machines!!! ;)
V-Carve Pro Tips, Gadget Tips & Videos
YouTube Channel - Sharkcutup CNC
V-Carve Pro 11.554

Drjohn71a

Post by Drjohn71a »

While I am a rank amateur with a new Shark that does not want to run... I have checked out the principle behind a couple of keyhole programs. One, on the Stepcraft video series, uses a 3/8" diameter Keyhole "T" bit which is plunged down to leave at least 1/8" of wood over the bit, then runs 1" before moving over .001" and returning and withdrawing almost atop the initial plunge cut. The other uses an immediate plunge to full depth, then 2-3" Horizontal movement, stopped and withdrawn. Of course, no ramping. The horizontal slit allows sliding the panel until it hangs straight. Of course, the size and shape of the bit and panel would dictate the actual programming details.

4DThinker

Post by 4DThinker »

If you want a conventional keyhole slot, and have a keyhole t-slot cutting bit, all you need is a single vector with two segments. Start where you want the bit to plunge, click where you want the bit to peak at, then continue back to just slightly offset from where you started. If you try and finish at your starting point the software tends to close the vector. Once done, use (N)ode edit to drag the offset end point over to atop the starting endpoint. Draw Line/Polyline, left click at entry, left click at end, left click near entry but not on it, ESC, N, drag and drop, N.

Now assign a profile toolpath ON that line, use vector start point, one pass for whatever depth you want to set the bit to cut.

You might want to run a small endmill down the line to clear out the center before the T-Slot bit runs. Not all t-slot bits plunge well.

4D