2D/3D sign making.

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

HeartFelt Rustics

2D/3D sign making.

Post by HeartFelt Rustics »

I need some help on how to program the attached pic. Also what bits are commonly used
to achieve this? I am using Vcarve Desktop Thank you!
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg

sharkcutup

Re: 2D/3D sign making.

Post by sharkcutup »

Check out this post - http://cncsharktalk.com/viewtopic.php?f ... 544#p26544

There is some valuable information here on this forum, the Vetric forum and YouTube.

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro Tips, Gadget Tips & Videos
YouTube Channel - Sharkcutup CNC
V-Carve Pro 11.554

HeartFelt Rustics

Thank you for the info I did find some good videos on YouTube

TAW

Post by TAW »

After learning how to do this....... I think a lot of the info out there makes it way harder then it need to be.
I literally went thru step by step of 2 different peoples instructions and spent over 10 hrs over 2 days trying to get a good tool path for my first one!
After seeing a homemade video by some guy, that would make mistakes and show the mistake and tell you in easy to understand terms, I did the same tool paths for another sign in 20 mins.
So find the right u tube video.
It comes down to a top layer tool path carved to certain depth. Carve and tweak it till you like it. (Use 2 different colors for top and bottom tool paths)
Bottom layer carved from the first layers depth as you starting point.(very important)
Getting the silhouette of top layer welded to the bottom layer tool path.
Biggest issue I had was when you are making all the different layers - you need to have the layer your working on (HIGH lighted) and if you copy to other layers and multiply layers on top of each other when using the scissors cut tool- you are there forever not knowing you are trying to get rid of layer YOU DO NOT KNOW you put there..
ALWAYS have the original top and bottom layers untouched to go back to and to copy if needed.
Once you figure it out -- you will see/ say wow now I see what I was doing wrong all that time.
Attachments
IMG_20160515_210649913.jpg
IMG_20160907_042348929.jpg

Rando

Post by Rando »

TAW wrote:After learning how to do this....... I think a lot of the info out there makes it way harder then it need to be.
I literally went thru step by step of 2 different peoples instructions and spent over 10 hrs over 2 days trying to get a good tool path for my first one!
After seeing a homemade video by some guy, that would make mistakes and show the mistake and tell you in easy to understand terms, I did the same tool paths for another sign in 20 mins.
So find the right u tube video.
That would be made a LOT easier if you'd just provide a link to the video....
=====================================================
ThomR.com Creative tools and photographic art
A proud member of the Pacific Northwest CNC Club (now on Facebook)

HeartFelt Rustics

Thanks guys for all your help. I actual found a very helpful
video on YouTube today. This video is 18 minutes long. The
other videos I watched were 1 hour. Here's the link. At least
it helped me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHo8ozz4Nhg&sns=em