4th axis preview date

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

Keith Hodges

Re: 4th axis preview date

Post by Keith Hodges »

Yeah, but for some reason their keeping the price a secret.
Being retired is hard work. Spending way too much time in the shop these days. (And loving it).
Shark Pro Plus HD, Vcarve Pro, Photo V Carve, Cut 3D, scan probe.

EdThorne

Post by EdThorne »

The groundhog sees his shadow and the 4th axis appears. It should make its debut before the snow in New England melts. I'm looking for specs, a price, and a manual before I am really interested. I seem to remember that Aspire offered some 4th axis support but that was quite a while ago. I'll have to go back and look at this again.

I also see an announcement seeking funding for the Piranha Fx. Estimated delivery: July 2015 ... hmmm .... :roll:

CountryWoodCrafts

Post by CountryWoodCrafts »

It is getting closer.... getting closure on my Mar 21, 2011 post ... :mrgreen:

Keith Hodges

Post by Keith Hodges »

Got a reply to my email about the price, $799.00. Will see how their reviews stack up. Hopefully good.
Being retired is hard work. Spending way too much time in the shop these days. (And loving it).
Shark Pro Plus HD, Vcarve Pro, Photo V Carve, Cut 3D, scan probe.

4DThinker

Post by 4DThinker »

$799? Ouch!

I also have a probotix meteor and their 4th axis is $470 and included a 3-jaw chuck with two sets of teeth.

EdThorne

Post by EdThorne »

This must include a new controller that supports the 4th axis? Maybe just a new board and cables?

4DThinker

Post by 4DThinker »

It was only $40 to upgrade their controllers.

EdThorne

Post by EdThorne »

Hi 4d, is that included in the $799? What is involved with upgrading the controller?
Ed

WoodEraser

Post by WoodEraser »

I believe the controller is all set as it has the 4th axis plug installed already.
Eric the "WoodEraser"
Sun City Center, Florida

If today were perfect there would be no need for tomorrow.

EdThorne

Post by EdThorne »

Hi Eric,
Thank you for the information. The advertisement states, "Includes High Precision, motorized 4th axis controller that can be mounted on the table top on any CNC Shark System. Includes software required for the 4th axis controller port to be active to faciliate the CNC Shark stepper motor drive kit."

This sounds like the 4th axis controller may be an additional box. I do have one extra DB9 plug on the back of my controller. Maybe it plugs into that and uses extra software to support its use. The pictures that I see on their website don't shown any of this. Looks like I will be waiting to see a manual or updated information before ordering one of these upgrades. I see no information of how it interacts for Vectrix Aspire or what post processor may be required for it to operate. The information from NWA is far too sketchy at present for me to feel comfortable buying one.
Ed :?