Setting the Z axis

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

moshinglizard

Setting the Z axis

Post by moshinglizard »

Whats the best way to set the Z axis? I find it difficult to set it as the softest click of the mouse will dip the bit into the material. Is there a way to use the aluminum method?
Thank you in advance.
Dave

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Re: Setting the Z axis

Post by jeb2cav »

Hi - a pretty good discussion on this can be found here: http://www.cncsharktalk.com/viewtopic.p ... 300&p=1479. Not easy to find as the words you'd typically use to search for this are usually "too common to return results".

Everyone has a preferred method. Some are more precise than others, so part of what you'll find is if you need really precise and repeatable conditions, you may find yourself using a feeler gauge set on top of your material and hand cranking. Another condition for really precise are lithographs (where you want to get within a few hundredths of the material depth to cut out). For many of my uses, bringing the router close to the material, and then loosening the collet and bringing the bit in contact with the material and tightening is more than adequate.

Hope this helps - and by all means let the forum know if this answered or if you have followup questions. Plenty of help here.

moshinglizard

Post by moshinglizard »

Thank you for the reply. I don't have a cranking option, the best I guess i can do is the Collet method. I was there was the option of using a piece of aluminum. I am not very happy with the shark pro. It is way to shaky. :(

Jim N

Post by Jim N »

Dave-
What do you mean by "shaky"
Jim

moshinglizard

Post by moshinglizard »

for some reason the y axis is shaky and causes chatter marks in the wood. even at slow speeds and cutting at .0625, but now i have another problem of the post processor not turning on at all. any ideas?
David