CNC Shark HD Mako Limited Edition (Help)

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

Raynes767

CNC Shark HD Mako Limited Edition (Help)

Post by Raynes767 »

Hey everyone!

My grandfather has passed away recently and left behind a Mako Limited edition. I am looking to sell the router because I don't have enough time for my own hobbies and wouldn't be able to pick up a new one. I just need help determining some of the items and its worth. I also am curious on what to do about selling the router without being able to demo it. I understand a question like this can be frustrating and I appreciate your help and time.

The picture below I am just curious on if that's everything in terms of what comes with the router. What the white pads are, what the vaccuum was used for, and any other information that can help. Just curious on what the worth of everything would be too.

Seriously thank you for your help.

Matthew
Attachments
PXL_20201005_155902413.jpg

Kayvon

Re: CNC Shark HD Mako Limited Edition (Help)

Post by Kayvon »

My condolences on your grandfather. I don't know that I can be a ton of help, but I can identify what you have. For starters, everything looks very clean and in good shape.

The main machine is called a CNC machine or CNC router. It has an extruded aluminum bed and includes a router. When you sell, you'll want to quote the size of the bed and, if possible, the cutting area size supported by the machine. I don't know what the cutting dimensions are, but they are not the same as the bed size (although they should be reasonably close).

To the left of the machine is a probe used for "scanning" physical objects and reproducing them.

On the next shelf down, you have the controller box and a touch plate. It looks like an official touch plate, but I d need to flip it over to be sure. It's used to determine the exact height of material before milling.

On the bottom shelf, you have a vacuum holding system. Those are nice. The white rectangles hook into the bed. You place your material atop those and push on the foot pedal, which uses suction to hold the material in place. The black thing is the vacuum pump.

Did you grandfather leave behind any software? The controller box is designed to connect to a laptop, so that would be helpful to have. The software has the registration details for the touch plate. Next Wave can work with you to recover and transfer software licenses, regardless of whether you can find that laptop/software.

It's likely that your grandfather also owned a copy of VCarve or Aspire, a very nice and relatively expensive software suite. You can work with Vectric Ltd to recover and transfer that. They charge a fixed fee to transfer licenses.

Do you mind if I ask where you live?

Raynes767

Post by Raynes767 »

You're a hero, thank you for that information! That's a huge help for narrowing stuff down. Thank you!

I'll look into finding the software. I know I have a couple printed documents he left that have serial keys, might have to get them organized.

I currently live in Wisconsin.

:D

Bob

Post by Bob »

Anywhere near Sheboygan?
Bob
"Focus"
Antonie Van Leeuwenhoek (Developer of the microscope.)

Kayvon

Post by Kayvon »

No problem. You have some nice equipment on your hands. Transferring licenses may be a bit of a pain, but it's well worth the time for what you'll get for it, whether you keep or sell.

I don't know how you'd go about shipping that. If you find a forum user who's local, I'm sure you'll get some interest. If you "Wisconsin" was a typo and you're actually in my city, I'd be interested. :)

Raynes767

Post by Raynes767 »

Unfortunately I'm about four hours away from Sheboygan, sorry about that.

Matthew

Raynes767

Post by Raynes767 »

Kayvon wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:09 pm
No problem. You have some nice equipment on your hands. Transferring licenses may be a bit of a pain, but it's well worth the time for what you'll get for it, whether you keep or sell.

I don't know how you'd go about shipping that. If you find a forum user who's local, I'm sure you'll get some interest. If you "Wisconsin" was a typo and you're actually in my city, I'd be interested. :)
Kayvon, do you ballpark know what it would be worth? I have a number but I'm just curious on if they match.

Kayvon

Post by Kayvon »

My ballpark? Maybe $3k? New models are available for not much more, but I don't know if they include VCarve anymore. Someone sold a similar setup a few years back for that much, but that was a while ago.
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=31786

I have a lesser model and haven't kept up with prices, new or used, since purchasing 8 years ago, so don't take my guess as gospel.

Raynes767

Post by Raynes767 »

I appreciate all of the help! Thank you Bob and Kayvon!

Bob

Post by Bob »

It would have been fun to help you set up the machine so you could demo it...And, to also try tipping you over to the cnc side.
Bob
"Focus"
Antonie Van Leeuwenhoek (Developer of the microscope.)