15 Watt Diode Laser (Not Next Wave)

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

mcsteve

15 Watt Diode Laser (Not Next Wave)

Post by mcsteve »

Has anyone added a laser to their Shark, other than the one sold by Next Wave? Their largest module is only 7 Watt output @ $999 but there are now 15 Watt output (40 Watt input) units available for around $250. Most of the ones I have looked at come with some form of control board that seems pretty standard but I am not that familiar with the inner workings of the Shark control box, nor have I purchased the laser interface yet, to make an educated choice.

I know I would at least need the "CNC SHARK LASER INTERFACE" Type 1 board (my control box has the 6 vents) to install in the control but would that board be usable with other diode laser modules? One of the ones I have been looking at from Neje Shop appears to come with the necessary interface but again, I don't know enough about the boards. A friend of mine added this one to his 3D printer and it works great on engraving and even does a decent job cutting up to 4-5mm balsa for puzzles and other projects.

Steve
CNC Shark Pro Plus - 12/2014
VCarve Pro, PhotoVCarve, Cut3D
ViaCAD 3D, AutoCAD, Sketchup
BobCAD V28

Kayvon

Re: 15 Watt Diode Laser (Not Next Wave)

Post by Kayvon »

I spent quite some time looking into this optional, but ultimately decided against it. The cost of a laser addon didn't offer much savings beyond buying a standalone unit (aside from space savings). Check out, for instance, the 7W Ortur that is selling for $155 as I write this. I'm sure the Shark has a larger cut area, but it also prevent me from using my CNC machine while using the laser.

I was also simultaneously disappointed with 7W laser output and worried about laser safety, especially with young eyeballs in the home. Everyone in the vicinity needs safety glasses. You can't walk in the room, even briefly, or even if a reflection could hit your eye. Like they say in the laser business, "Do not look at laser with remaining good eye."

monitoringpost

Post by monitoringpost »

mcsteve wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:30 pm
Has anyone added a laser to their Shark, other than the one sold by Next Wave?

Steve
Have you tried searching the forum?

;)

mcsteve

Post by mcsteve »

Kayvon wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:15 pm
... The cost of a laser addon didn't offer much savings beyond buying a standalone unit (aside from space savings). Check out, for instance, the 7W Ortur that is selling for $155 as I write this.
Funny you mention that. I am waiting for my Ortur 15W to arrive. I plan to use it for engraving and other such work that I’m often asked to do but cannot with just the router. While it will solve some problems, the disadvantage is that it is 2D. Even with the 4th axis rotary that is coming with the unit I ordered it will still have limitations.

My interest in mounting the higher power on the Shark would be to coordinate with existing routing projects. The simplest example would be the creation of a cribbage board. The router could do all of the 3D work then the laser could do engraving of the numbering or customisation while maintaining the material to axis position and avoid moving material from one machine to another. I see very good uses for both types of installation which is why I am hoping this is possible.

@monitoringpost, I did search the forum and read what posts I could find but there were not any posts relating to adding a 3rd party laser, at least none speaking to the experience. I was rather hoping there was so I could learn from the posted recaps. Maybe others have done this and this post will provide the opportunity for them to share. Fingers crossed.

Steve
CNC Shark Pro Plus - 12/2014
VCarve Pro, PhotoVCarve, Cut3D
ViaCAD 3D, AutoCAD, Sketchup
BobCAD V28

monitoringpost

Post by monitoringpost »

mcsteve wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:06 pm
@monitoringpost, I did search the forum ...
Steve
Okay!

Nanoqx

Post by Nanoqx »

Hello all! Hey regarding these so called "15 Watt" or even "40 Watt" lasers for $250, sorry to say, but they are not, I repeat, are NOT anywhere near 40 or even 15 Watts of optical laser power. It is all a flat-out scam. There is no such thing as a diode laser of that power available, well at least not to the consumer market. They use the total circuit current draw and multiply it by the system voltage to get the total wattage and use that to market the wattage rating. This has absolutely nothing to do with the optical laser power that the diode laser is producing. Even Next Wave uses a similar rating on their lasers. Next Wave's laser is a decent laser and it should last a long time being they are under driving it, but it is not “7 Watts of optical power”. There are a couple of quality aftermarket laser suppliers, one of which that I can attest to being outstanding. But these lasers will run you about $800 for a true 7watts of optical laser power. If you’re finding them for less, guess what, you’re getting what you’re paying for. Sorry, that is just the plain truth!
I really like Next Wave CNC's, I don't see how you can beat them for entry level vaIue and ease of use. And they have (my experience) great customer support. I just wish they didn't over-charge so much on their accessories.