Y & Z axis issues

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

JoeB

Y & Z axis issues

Post by JoeB »

Hi folks,
I've had a CNC Shark for a couple of years but don't use it in cold weather since my workshop is unheated. A recent warm spell allowed me to do some CNC work that I've been putting off. I tried to run a simple profile TAP file that I'd run before and ran into problems. After setting the X, Y & Z positions, the router gantry tried to move outside the limits of the job size (X and Y) and the drove the router bit deeper than the Z cut. I had to stop the program before the bit was destroyed and/or the machine bed was damaged.

Any ideas?

Rando

Re: Y & Z axis issues

Post by Rando »

JoeB:

Machine crashes suk! In cases like this there are sooo many things that could be checked.

First up, dump your tap file into this web site: https://ncviewer.com (yes, it's free)

Check whether the size of things is right. Look especially at a "front" or side-on view to see the z-axis
extents that the tap file was telling the machine to move.

If it's wildly outsized, it might be a mm-based DXF file was imported as inches.

If it just went crazy in the Z and plunged straight to HAIL, then it's often a safe-height issue.
(I was especially guilty of that early on)

But, it could also be machine settings if somehow those go reset or changed. In the pendant
models they currently sell, the product number has to be correct, otherwise strange stuff
like that happens.

Check those things out and let's see if that points us in the right direction....

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Rando
=====================================================
ThomR.com Creative tools and photographic art
A proud member of the Pacific Northwest CNC Club (now on Facebook)

JoeB

Post by JoeB »

Hi Rando,
Thanks for the feedback.

I did what you suggested on NCviewer and it looks OK. What's puzzling is that when I start the tap file on the CNC, the first thing is does is to try to move the gantry beyond the standard limits of the 12x24 machine base. I've reset the xyz coordinates several times and it does the same thing.

Do you know if there Is there a reset on the controller?

Thanks,
JoeB

Rando

Post by Rando »

Which generation of machines are we talking about here?

When you say "it tries to move outside the...." what EXACTLY do you mean?

There is no try. It either does or does not (paraphrasing Yoda).

So, exactly what is the sequence of events that brings it to move incorrectly?

How far into the process of setting x0, y0, z0, loading the file and running it is this happening?

For instance...are you running the file from Vectric? Or loading it via a PC-based control panel?
Or on a thumb drive to the pendant?

JoeB

Post by JoeB »

I may have mislead in my earlier post. I have a Piranha XL machine and use Vetric VCarve desktop software.

Typically, I work on a project on my office PC then move to my workshop PC to finish creating the tap files which I save to a thumb drive.

I'll test the tap file on a piece of scrap using the thumb drive inserted into the pendant attached to the XL.

Prior to the test, I'll x0 and y0 using the pendant screen and a touch plate for z0.

My latest project is to cut pocket circles to serve as drink holders on boards that will be installed on the sides of a domino table I'm building.

What happens is that instead of starting to plunge the router into the board at the center of the piece, the gantry moves to the extreme end of the Y axis and attempts to go beyond the end of the machine bed. After reaching the end, it continues to 'hammer'. Once the 'hammering' stops, the gantry moves past the center starting point, then the router descends past the depth of the workpiece driving the bit into the sacrificial bed on top of the material bed.

I've stopped the progress of the tap file to prevent damage.

I plan to reset the firmware to factory settings and recreate the project CRV file on the workshop PC to avoid any possible file corruption via network connections.

Thoughts?

Kayvon

Post by Kayvon »

Do the jog buttons work correctly? I.e. in the right directions and axes?

JoeB

Post by JoeB »

Yes - X, Y & Z directions all work in the proper directions.

I'm on a project today away from my workshop but I plan to do a factory reset using one of the apps on the pendant. Afterwards, I'll run a simple profile and pocket tap file to see if the reset fixes the problems.

I'll send an update afterwards - wish me luck.

thanks to all for your contributions.

JoeB

Rando

Post by Rando »

can you past the first 100 lines of the gcode into a post here? Let's see if there's something in there.

If I had to guess, I'd start with inches versus mm. Excursions that much bigger than the machine happen for a reason,
and not usually a good one....but usually an easy one to fix!

sharkcutup

Post by sharkcutup »

I am going to have a go at this -

Question 1 - Where is your X-Axis and Y-Axis in your V-Carve Desktop Program? Center of Material or Lower Right corner, etc...? Both the V-carve Desktop Program Settings and the Actual Performed Sequences should be EXACTLY the SAME!!!

Question 2 - You say you are using touch plate for Z-Axis --- Exactly where are you placing the touch plate? On the Table Bed or Spoilboard OR On the Material Board? What do you have it set for in V-carve Desktop Program? Both the V-carve Desktop Program Settings and the Actual Performed Sequences should be EXACTLY the SAME!!!

Question-3 - When Saving your Toolpaths to Thumb Drive Are you using the correct POST PROCESSOR for your CNC Machine?

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro Tips, Gadget Tips & Videos
YouTube Channel - Sharkcutup CNC
V-Carve Pro 11.554

samuelburns

Post by samuelburns »

I feel that I am having the exact same problem. I just bought the Piranha XL, I loaded the attached file through the thumbdrive on the pendant.
I centered the router over the center of the piece. I zeroed everything out on the pendant.
I expected the router to move to the bottom left when it started but instead the router went to the top right before moving back towards the bottom left but did not get all the way.
I've attached the tap file and the start setup and what the wood looked like.
I went with the default CNC-Piranha 3D Contour (inch) postprocessor.
Waw.tap
(43.65 KiB) Downloaded 154 times
IMG_1389.jpg
IMG_1390.jpg
Any help is greatly appreciated.