winusb.dll missing

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

ohiolyons

winusb.dll missing

Post by ohiolyons »

I'm getting a winusb.dll not found when I try to run the current control panel on an XP computer.

The install control panel works fine and it finishes and says would you like to install the usb drivers, I say yes and it goes off searching forever. After 10 minutes get tired and hit cancel.

I have remove the control panel and reinstalled it several times, but with the same result. I have rebooted and the control panel fails to run.

Is there a way to manually install the drivers?

Thanks ahead of time for any light you maybe able to shed on my problem.

John

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Re: winusb.dll missing

Post by jeb2cav »

Hi John,

After installing the basic panel, try re-booting the computer with the power off on the control box. After you're logged back on, plug in the usb cable to the control box and power on the control (don't start basic panel). This may cause your OS to "find new hardware" and complete the USB installation. If you get the found new hardware message, you can probably hit automatic and it should install properly.

If you had the usb cable plugged in when you installed the basic panel, it may have gotten a little confused.

A possible alternate solution can be found in this post - although I'm a little leary of installing drivers like this - it seemed to work for this member - http://www.cncsharktalk.com/viewtopic.p ... 443&p=2265

ohiolyons

Post by ohiolyons »

Thanks for the quick reply, I tried both and neither worked.

Maybe Tim can send me a patch referenced in the other post if he reads this.

John

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Post by jeb2cav »

Hi John - assumed, but I guess I should ask or point out - you did install the vcredist.exe before you ran the shark intallation, right? XP install seems to work well for the most part. Are you an administrator when installing?

Do the computer's usb connections work with other USB devices? This isn't a really old, USB 1.0 hardware setup? Have you installed all the computer's recommended hardware drivers (from the manufacturer, not from the Operating System). This includes BIOS. Not saying you should have to do all of this, but brainstorming on ideas.

Good luck with an updated or patched version. Be interesting to hear how that works out.

ohiolyons

Post by ohiolyons »

Thanks for your ideas/response.

Yes I did install the vcredist.exe file first. Even checked for the framework 3.5 install also.

My computer has 2 usb ports and 1 usb 1, tested it in all three. The usb 2 ports behaved the same way, the usb 1 port said hey plug this thing into a 2 port.

I am fairly certain the compter is up to speed since I had to do a clean intall on the computer. The shark control panel use to work before I did the clean install.

John

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Post by jeb2cav »

Hi John - when you say you did a "clean install" on the computer - did you completely re-install Windows?

ohiolyons

Post by ohiolyons »

yes windows and all software, got all updates from microsoft too. I'm running xp sp3

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Post by jeb2cav »

Ok - well, if it worked "before" you did the clean OS install - did you get the latest hardware drivers from the machine's manufacturer and install those? Sometimes the default MS drivers will work, but sometimes the vendor's drivers work "better". Otherwise, I'm out of ideas.

ohiolyons

Post by ohiolyons »

Thanks for your ideas

ohiolyons

Post by ohiolyons »

Thanks to all who viewed my post and the nice person in Kentucky who responded on several occassions.

I guess I was expecting a response/guidance/insights from Rockler or Next Wave or to at least acknowledge my problem.

I finally performed another clean install, but did not install any other software than the Shark control panel.
It now works!!!!

John