V Carve Question

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

bill z

V Carve Question

Post by bill z »

I'm using V Carve to make some Christmas ornaments using a 1/32 inch diameter carbide down cut inlay router bit in a 2D Profile Toolpath.

All seems to work great except for when the program raises the router and moves it to another part of the board to be cut. The router doesn't lift high enough and the tip of the bit is dragged just a little scratching the surface of the ornament. The scratch is just enough to ruin the whole ornament. The starting point is the top of the board.

I have clamps all around to make sure the board to be cut isn't bowing up to cause the problem. The ornament is only 4" square.

Where in the tool database do I set how high to raise the tool before traveling to the next plunge?

Bob

Re: V Carve Question

Post by Bob »

Hi Bill,
When I've seen this problem before, it was caused by neglecting to change from a laser post processor to a pp used for routing.
That's my best guess... Check to be sure you're using the correct post processor.
If you have the correct pp, You can set safe z heights over in the toolpaths menu, under material setup.
Bob
"Focus"
Antonie Van Leeuwenhoek (Developer of the microscope.)

bill z

Post by bill z »

Thanks for the supper quick reply Bob.

My Shark is very old. I bought it used some 10 years ago. It doesn't have laser, just a Bosch router. Same with my V Carve, it is version 4. It has been working just fine till now. The only thing new is the 'CNC Shark Control Panel 2.1' I installed after the laptop hard drive quit. Until then I was using the version that came with the machine.

However, just in case, I checked the Post Processor and it is the 'CNCShark-USB Arcs (inch) (*.tap)'. That is the one that Next Wave suggested I use.

I don't remember having this problem in the past, but, then, most of my use with the Shark is with using a V bit to carve plaques.

bill z

Post by bill z »

Thanks for the quick reply Bob.

My Shark is more than 10 years old and doesn't have a laser.

The Post Processor in V Carve that I use is 'CNCShark-USB Arcs (inch)(*.tab)'

Recently, the hard drive in the laptop used with the Shark died and I installed a new version of CNC Shark Control Panel (2.1 build 25F). There may be some conflict there (old vs new).

I just don't know.

Ideas are welcome.

Bob

Post by Bob »

Bill,
The pp sounds right.
Did you check the safe z height?
If that checks out, it's time to call Next Wave for support:

(419)491-4520
For assistance with your product or any questions, please email Tech Support at support@nextwaveautomation.com or call during regular business hours.

Call before this weekend. Otherwise you'll need to wait until Monday.

Bob
"Focus"

bill z

Post by bill z »

Thanks Bob. However changing the Safe Z wasn't easy.

I haven't done that before.

I found safe Z in the Toolpaths but it is only displayed, not changeable there.

But, in Material Setup, it just says 'Set' and the picture indicates above the material.

I changed it and I'll try it.

I'll let you know.

Bob

Post by Bob »

Bill,
Did you maneuver to this section?
Screenshot 2023-11-17 192505.png
What was your clearance z set to?
Bob
"Focus"

Darsh

Post by Darsh »

bill z wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2023 5:03 pm
I'm using V Carve to make some Christmas ornaments using a 1/32 inch diameter carbide down cut inlay router bit in a 2D Profile Toolpath.

All seems to work great except for when the program raises the router and moves it to another part of the board to be cut. The router doesn't lift high enough and the tip of the bit is dragged just a little scratching the surface of the ornament. The scratch is just enough to ruin the whole ornament. The starting point is the top of the board.

I have clamps all around to make sure the board to be cut isn't bowing up to cause the problem. The ornament is only 4" square.

Where in the tool database do I set how high to raise the tool before traveling to the next plunge?
To prevent surface scratching during tool movement, adjust the retract height in your V Carve toolpath settings. Navigate to the Tool Database, and within the specific tool properties, look for the retract or clearance height setting. Ensure it's adequate to lift the router high enough, preserving the integrity of your Christmas ornaments.

bill z

Post by bill z »

Bob,

Yes, adjusting the 'Safe Z' worked.

I must have set it to .001 while I was trying to adjust for another issue I was having. I shouldn't go around changing values to see what works.

Thanks again.

Bill

Bob

Post by Bob »

Bill,
Thanks for the feedback.
Have fun!
Bob
"Focus"