pecks at start of job

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

FredK

pecks at start of job

Post by FredK »

I am using a Shark Pro Plus with Aspire. I have the bit set to X=0, Y=0, Z=0.25 at the start of the job. This is where the bit is physically, and where I tell the Shark controller the bit is, via the Set control panel.

Before the router moves to the area I want cut, it moves down, seemingly to something like X=0, Y=0, Z=-0.05, leaves a dimple in the work, then retracts, moves to the area to be cut and cuts the design as I expect. This isn't a problem if I can set the initial position over part of the work that will be cut away, but if the workpiece at the initial position is going to be kept, the dimple has to go. Any ideas?

Here is the g-code at the start and end:

G90
G20
F100.0
G64 P.1
S 2000
M3
G0 Z0.2500
F100.0
G00 X2.0312 Y2.3750 Z0.2000
F30.0
G1 X2.0312 Y2.3750 Z-0.1250
F100.0
G01 X2.0312 Y5.7031 Z-0.1250

.......... deleted some g-code here

F100.0
G00 X11.4062 Y11.8750 Z0.2000
G00 Z0.2500
G00 X0.0000 Y0.0000
M02

I plan to delete lines in the g-code file to see if I can find the one that causes the problem.

BobA

Re: pecks at start of job

Post by BobA »

Hi Fred,

My experience is when your cutter moves into the material at the beginning you have not zeroed Z aaxis correctly.
I had a lot of problem with this when I first started using the shark. I was attempting to zero the axis with the jog tabs on the Shark Controller screen. I find what works best for me is use the arrows on the keyboard for moving X & Y and move the Z axis with the page up and down.

I first zero X & Y axis then I move Z Axis Close to the top of my material (.100").
I turn the controller off while x and y are zero.
You can now turn the Z axis screw by hand.( Clockwise up and counterclockwise is down)
I use a .001" feeler gage to set z axis until I can slide the gage under the tool feeling contact.

After setting Z Axis I turn the controller on and X,Y & Z are now Zero.

BobA

Hope this helps.

Bob
Last edited by BobA on Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Buc

Post by Buc »

Fred,

I also ran into a simular situation once. I had my material thickness set at .750", but the actual thickness of my material was .780" and I got a .030" dimple. Now I set 'Z' zero from the top of the material instead of the top of the spoil board.

Buc
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Thomas A. Edison

The Only Easy Day Was Yesterday

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Post by jeb2cav »

And to clarify the current behavior of the shark - at the start of the job, the tool moves to 0,0,0. The tips BobA and Buc provided are spot on (of course) - but to be clear, the tool moves to 0,0,0 at the start of any job - and you won't find this in the tap file. This issue has been raised to NextWave as not desirable, and I guess we'll see if it is addressed in the next release of the firmware.

There is an older post on this, but I can't seem to find it right away. What this also really means for the average shark user, is that you should set the 0,0,0 to the top of the material. You can't prevent the tool from moving to 0,0,0 at the start of the job by manipulating something in your Vectric project.

sharkie

Post by sharkie »

Hello all,
If you set your x,y,z to 0 but jog around for any reason, when you send the router to work it WILL go to 000 first, then to the place it starts to carve. What I like to do is just before I start carving, I click on the prompt to move to 000. Then when I click to start the carve, the tool just lifts and goes to the start point without going to 000 and possibly leaving a dimple.
I definitely like the method of setting z with the shark turned off and turning the screw by hand, I have been doing that for some time and found it flawless. Of course, when your table is off a little, I try to set 0 before every cut, at that location on the table to allow for any difference.