Different Y-Axis problem

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

pbscott

Different Y-Axis problem

Post by pbscott »

I am cutting out four profiles, the final one going around the perimeter of the piece cutting out the thing with a few tabs to hold it in place. It cuts in four passes each 0.2 inches deep. The first three profiles cut perfectly, but the problem is in the final profile. The first pass is fine, but subsequent passes are offset by about 0.7 inches in the negative Y direction - as if I had quickly shifted the board to the left.

I upgraded to the newest control software from Nextwave automation - version 1.4 and am using the post processor "cnc shark = USB(inch)"

Any ideas?
Phil Scott

I intend to live forever, or die trying"
Groucho Marx

spinningwood

Re: Different Y-Axis problem

Post by spinningwood »

A picture of the piece on the shark might offer some clues to what is going on. What dimensions are your work piece and the profiles?

My first guess would have been that you hit the Y Stop and "lost" the 0.7", but if it completed the first cut on the fourth profile correctly then that couldn't be the case. You sure the first cut on the fourth profile was exactly right and not short on the y dimension?

My next guess would have been that you hit something in the workpiece during the second cut on the fourth profile that bogged down the cutter and you "lost" 0.7". You would have heard / noticed that though so it doesn't seem likely. What speed are you cutting? What type of cutter?

Have you done another run in a different piece to see if the problem repeats?

Ed

pbscott

Post by pbscott »

Fixed! I was using the orginal post processor. When I upgraded to the PP that came with the current release of the controller (cncshark-usb_arcs_inch) it was OK.
Phil Scott

Groucho Marx

pbscott

Post by pbscott »

Not fixed after all. It cut out correctly once, then repeated the same problem next time I tried. On the attached photo, It started at point A which was not on the file. The first pass around the outside it cut correctly at point B. Going "North" from point B, the Y axis got confused and as it progressed, it cut about 3/4 inch "South" along line C.
BadPuppy.JPG
Phil Scott

Groucho Marx