Making Progress

Everything 4th Axis

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

John Shaw

Making Progress

Post by John Shaw »

Seems to be working...
I have it set up along the X axis Left to Right.
Using V-Carve Pro 8 I made a rounding tool path and a V-Carve lettering tool path and included a few circles with the vbit on a profile tool path.
My first attempt came out with reversed lettering which surprised me as I thought that was a fairly standard set up. I let it run to completion just to see.
Checked the mirror image box in preferences and reran the tool paths. Worked well and was far easier to read.
Things I am learning...
One key lesson learned was to click "Move to Offset" before running the tool path.
I have a lathe and a chuck (SuperNova2) by the same manufacturer so I have a wide choice of jaws on hand. I switched to the step jaw set as it accommodates a wide range of diameters.
I used a laser center finder that fits in the router chuck and works well to align along the X axis, set Y, and position the tail stock.
After being use to a lathe tail stock I find this one awkward to use -- but it does do the job.
Now I am ready for lots of fun!

studio-n

Re: Making Progress

Post by studio-n »

all of my 3d figures are coming out reversed. So looks like I'm just going to leave the MIRROR option on.
So if Text and figures come out reversed - when is it NOT reversed? So far that only thing that looks right
is the rounding (not that we can tell right?).
"Out of my mind.....back in 5 minutes"
Rockler 60th Anniversary CNC Shark
w/digital probe, and 4th axis attachment.
ULS M300 Laser Engraver 50 Watt
Aspire and Corel Draw
NextEngine 2020i 3D scanner

John Shaw

Re: Making Progress

Post by John Shaw »

My guess...
I used what I thought was an arrangement that matched their diagram. (but I didn't) Along the x-axis with the headstock near x=0 (on the left) and was surprised it came out reversed. Running the same file with the mirror image box checked came out correct. I don't find this a problem, just a surprise. I am assuming that as long as I keep that setup the mirror image box needs to be checked.
I am thinking that if I reversed the setup along the x=axis but with the tailstock near x=0 and the headstock at x>0 (to the right) I would have to uncheck the mirror image box. Could be another suggestion for enhanced diagrams.
On re-checking their diagram does match the sign convention, they have the tailstock near X=0. I have annotated the attached diagram as to where 0,0 would be. My misconception is probably due to the fact that I never work from the blind side of the gantry - I'm always on the carriage side of the gantry so the diagram looks upside down.
Attachments
Next Waves Diagram
Next Waves Diagram