Is there a possibility to build a fourth axis?

Everything 4th Axis

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

Jason

Is there a possibility to build a fourth axis?

Post by Jason »

In our shark user meeting in Milwaukee, we have been discussing the idea of making your own actuall "A" axis like nextwave has come out with. Bob the moderator of our meetings and the inventer of "bob's simple 4th axis, has been an inspriration to me and a few other shark users. Lately, we have been discussing a few questions.
1. Can we take a stepper motor and plug it into the fourth port on the 'scp'.
2. Considering most of the shark (at least the one I have) is made of plastic, what should be considered in making a head and tail stock to hold the material. Obviously plastic can't be compared to a nova chuck, but if plastic has worked for the majority of the carcas why not.

Here are somethings I have found.
1. It seems nextwave sells the stepper motors with the 9 pin cable for $50.00. That was a simple solution. You can find these on nextwaves website under parts/repair.
2. On the back of the scp there are 4 ports. According to nextwave, it seems you 'scp' DOES NOT come the micro card in the 4th port to read or acknowledge that you have a stepper motor plugged in.
This micro card nextwave sells for $89.00. It seems to be an additional purchase to their 4th axis, but I could be wrong. According to the pdf instruction manual for the 4th axis, you will need to purchase the micro card and register it as well as download the "scp 2.1" in order to start the process of using a 4th axis.
This is about as far as my research has come. I figure designing a head & tail stock wouldnt be that difficult. I have used the words 'micro card' forgive me if its called otherwise. I wrote this only to put the idea out here since I know there are others that are passionate about cnc work and enjoy creating parts.
I would like it if the moderator on this site could give me some insight to these bright questions. These thoughts and questions are a collaboration from our cnc group meeting here in Milwaukee. It seems for what I currently know, an investment of less than $200.00 you could build one. So your insight will be passed on to other curious minds.

meb

Re: Is there a possibility to build a fourth axis?

Post by meb »

You do need the controller card installed for the A axis and you do need CP 2.1 to run the axis. Of course everything needs to be registered through Next Wave Automation. If you buy the 4th axis kit from them it includes the controller card that you install in the box, simple task just make sure you use a grounding strap when installing so you don't fry the card with static.