Not to proud to ask for help

Everything 4th Axis

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

dmyers

Not to proud to ask for help

Post by dmyers »

I got the 4th axis for father day and can't get the bugs worked out. All I have been able to cut are pegs.
I set all the preferences which should be correct but as it cuts from left to right it ramps up from 1.287" to 1.445" in the z axis. The g-code file reads a constant 1.287" depth for the length of the cut in the z.
I reset the motor end and it reads z= 0.00 but every time I set the tail stock it has the correct x cords and y cords but the z has a different setting that has ranged from z= 0.144 to 0.591. I'm not sure what's going on, could it be adjusting for virtual 0 in the z axis.

I well come any help or suggestions.

Thanks

David

rcrick

Re: Not to proud to ask for help

Post by rcrick »

David
watch my video on the 4th axis this should help you out. If not e-mail me.
Rick
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yehjYLa5AQ

dmyers

Post by dmyers »

Rick,

Thanks for the reply.
I've watched your video numerous times before I got my 4th axis and a few times after.
The only thing I'm doing different from your video is that I'm using my touch plate to touch off from the head stock and the tail stock, like they show in the NextWave video's.
I'll try your way this weekend. It is so hot here in Florida that by the time I get home from work like yesterday and went out to the shop it was 96 deg. with all my fans running.
I can get an early start in the morning while it's only in the mid 80's. I'll let you know how I make out.

Thanks again for your reply. (over 30 views and only one reply)

David

dmyers

Post by dmyers »

Rick,
Well no luck again. I watched your video again and paused it at every step and the results were the same.
Any way, I checked my software and I'm on v2.1 Build 17 I noticed that v2.1 Build 22 is available could that be part of the problem?
Set X, Y and Z to 0.00 per your video moved to the head stock and Z= was at 2.010 for the head stock offset. Moved to the tail stock and Z= 0.652 for the tail stock offset. Moved to offset position, X= 4.500. Y= 0.000 and Z= 2.457.
Loaded the rounding tool path started the run Z starts at 1.155 on the head stock end and as it gets to the tail stock end it's up to Z= 1.246. The g-code as it running for the first pass shows
Z=1.166. The cords on the Motor end once it's set are X= 0.00 Y= 0.00 and Z= 0.00 the tail stock end cords after it's set are X= 17.486 Y= 0.00 and Z= 0.146.
I jogged the bit down to just touch the wood while I still had the program loaded and ran it along the X axis and it tracked left to right on Z= .909 the entire lenght of the board.
Note: I updated software to v2.1 Buils 22 and re-ran everything again with same results. Put a digital level on the table and it's perfectly level put the level ont the wood it's level even put on the 4th axis motor and it's level. changed the preset in the preferences for the tail stock from 0, .25, .5, .625 with all the same results. I would think that when the tail stock cords are set they would read X= 17.486 which is correct for the board I have mounted, Y= 0.00 which is correct as it tracks in a straight line from the head stock to the tail stock. What is puzzeling is that the Z= 0.146. I would expect it to be Z=0.000 like the head stock. It should take the Z= cordinate and combine it with the tail stock pre-set in the preference add should come out to Z= 0.000. I see know way to edit this to get the correct setting.

Thanks again for your time.

David

rcrick

Post by rcrick »

David
Do you touch-off at the head-stock and tail-stock before you load the rounding program? you have to do this with every program change and tool change you make that is what sets the compensation for the 4th axis. Also make sure your preferences for the tail stock match your measurements. Make sure the gantry is parallel with the table.
Hope this helps
Rick

dmyers

Post by dmyers »

Rick,
Yes I go through the entire procedure before I load the tool path. The only thing I don't do during the set up that I used every to do was use the touch plate. I followed your lead and use a piece of paper. When I used the touch plate method I never got the same Z cords on the tail stock. With your message I get Z= 0.000 for the head stock and Z=0.146 constantly for the tail stock. Do you get a Z= 0.000 for your tail stock? I have checked the pre sets in the preferences and the math should be right if the tail stock was set to Z=0.000 but mine comes out to Z=0.146 every time no matter what I set the pre sets in the preferences. I've set the tail stock off set from 0, .0625, .25, .5 and so on. As I said in my last post my table, 4th axis, material are all perfectly level that I checked with a very accurate digital level. I'm currently out of ideas.
I appreciate your help. I wonder why no one else has had this problem. I've even updated the latest v2.1 Build22 software update. I'll be taking it off the machine and wait to see if anyone else has any ideas as to what is going on.
Side note: I have a great neighbor who got me into CNC's and has built his own machine from scratch and is a computer wiz,
And he is stumped also.

David

rcrick

Post by rcrick »

David
Have you measured your spindle to see if it has taper? O my setup I always have a .049 on my tailstock end. That is the measurement difference that the software calculates for offset based on the actual measurements that had been taken on your touchoff. I have never had it be zero. If you would want it to be zero you would have to change the preferences every time you touched off. You subtract from your preference it will lower the number you see on touchoff. the numbers really don't mean much unless you have taper problem in your spindle.
Hope this helps

dmyers

Post by dmyers »

Rick,

Not sure what you mean about spindle taper? I upgraded the gantry to the solid aluminum and spent a lot of time getting it straight and parallel with the table.
I've taken a lot of time to make sure everything is aligned in all the axis's (with that said something could be off but I'm not seeing it or it's not obvious).
I have started over numerous times from scratch. changed the preferences to (tail stock) to different values saved and retouched off, head stock and tail stock.
with always the same results. I will not rule out that I could be doing something stupid but it's just not jumping out at me at this time. Ive tried every thing you
and my neighbor have suggested but I'm still not getting it to work a simple rounding tool path.

David.

rcrick

Post by rcrick »

David
Measure your rounded spindle diameter near the headstock and near the tailstock are they different and by how much?
Rick

dmyers

Post by dmyers »

Rick,
Not sure what your asking but I'll give it a try. The one spindle (peg shape) that I made the head stock side measured 1.155" the tail stock side measured 1.246". As the router tracks along the X axis I can watch the Z axis ramp upward but the g-code Z height is a constant number that does not change.

Thanks...
David