Help with lasering with 4th axis

Everything 4th Axis

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

Superwrench

Help with lasering with 4th axis

Post by Superwrench »

I have searched the forum, but come up empty. I am trying to laser engrave on a wooden travel mug using the 4th axis. If I use the laser PP, the gantry moves in the Y axis. If I use the rotary PP, the laser won't light up. What am I doing wrong? I am two weeks behind on this project for Christmas and feeling the pinch.

Superwrench

Re: Help with lasering with 4th axis

Post by Superwrench »

I just realized this was a question for Vectric software, not just Shark related. I received an answer from Vectric that said "at this time, it is not possible to laser on the 4th axis". Bummer, that is one of the main reasons I bought this setup...

bourekas

Post by bourekas »

For what it is worth after all this time...there are new post processors from nextwave which allow the laser to be used concurrently with the 4th axis (for HD520 at least). I called and they emailed them to me.

I have not tried them yet, but have great confidence.

BKeith

Post by BKeith »

A couple of pointers on using the Laser with the 4th axis. First, I've been using it a couple of days now on my HD500 with a Mini 4th Axis Rotator and it works fine.
There are a couple of things you will need to do to use the Mini-4th axis with the laser.
First you will need to order the extra accessory board to install in the controller to gain and additional DB9 connector. I did that when I first got my machine to get rid of that interface box.
Then you need to plug the DB9 connector on the Mini 4th Axis into that accessory board and don't use that interface box that comes with it. Trust me, it works fine, I've never had mine connected through that interface box and 95% of what I do is using the rotator.
Doing this frees up that front connector so you can plug the laser in.
Once setup this way, the laser and Mini 4th work just fine together.