All updated firmware but manual shows different setup

Everything 4th Axis

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

Zeph

All updated firmware but manual shows different setup

Post by Zeph »

I have a standard 4th axis for an HD510. The controller card is installed (I know it's correct - I build PCs). I have updated both the controller box and the pendant firmware. However, when I go to run through the setup instructions, it shows to select the 4th axis from the "Apps" menu on the pendant (this works fine) and then to select the MODE to configure the axis. However, on my pendant, there is no MODE, only MODEL. I can select 0, 1, 2, or 3 depending on type (0 for mini), or date (1, 2, or 3 based on the model year of the standard 4th axis). Since I got mine in 2023, I've selected #3 for "2023 or later". Is this all I have to do? There are no options anywhere to select MODE as shown in the manual (I also have the latest manual).

sirius lee

Re: All updated firmware but manual shows different setup

Post by sirius lee »

I am having the exact same problem... how did you solve it?

sirius lee

Post by sirius lee »

To add some info, regardless of what selection I choose, the menu still only shows "4th axis model" not the selections shown in the manual. I rebooted after making my selection, no change. I have confirmed my firmware and pendant are the correct version. I have pulled everything apart and re-seated the chip and connector cable, no change. Also, when I power up with the control box open, I can see the LEDs on the x,y,z, and a cards, which further confirms for me the 4th axis control card is properly seated.

sirius lee

Post by sirius lee »

To give more context, when I select a model (0-3) there is no change to the menu, it still only shows "4th axis model" instead of the selections in the manual. Likewise, nothing changes in the main menu to allow me to operate the 4th axis. I have also tried rebooting the controller after making the model selection, no change. I have confirmed my controller and pendant firmware are up to date. I have disconnected and reconnected the entire system from head to toe, including re-seating the 4th axis chip, no change. Also, when I power up with the system with the cover off the controller, I see the LEDs light up on the x,y,z, AND a (4th axis) boards, which confirms for me it is at least properly seated.

Any thoughts?

sirius lee

Post by sirius lee »

sorry for the double message... strange things are afoot at the internet...

sirius lee

Post by sirius lee »

Spoke with customer support, turns out this is the new "simplified" setup screen and they haven't updated the PDF yet. This one step replaces steps 3-9 of the 4th axis pendant setup. Once you select the model, you should be able to control the A-axis by touching the Z-axis position field and switching to the A axis in the menu on the left.

I wish I hadn't wasted the weekend trying to ensure I wasn't about to destroy a new tool, but better safe than sorry.