Dancing Santa Claus

Browse around for inspiration, or share your work to inspire others!

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

NewAgent45

Dancing Santa Claus

Post by NewAgent45 »

Why re-invent the wheel!

I found the Dancing Santa on the Winfield Collection website http://www.thewinfieldcollection.com/ca ... cing+santa I decided to get the project plans to use as a guide for creating the vectors. There are plans for a large and small (Tabletop) version. I choose to get the tabletop version because it would be easier to scan the drawings of each part. I created vectors and cut all the parts for the tabletop version on the CNC Shark.

I used a tracing technique by importing each of my drawing bitmap (*.jpg) files into VCarve Pro. I included some of the art work to use for V-Caring too. Once I have created the complete set of parts I created a copy to be used for scaling up the project. I plan to make a larger outdoor version of Santa.

I built my first Dancing Santa similar to the original plans. I choose to use the motor and hardware kits available from the same site. These are resonably priced and this way I would have everything on hand to complete the project. As you can see from my pictures and video my first Dancing Santa was a success. I did make a few changes and only used part of the original hardware kit. I will order my own hardware on future builds.

From The Winfield Collection site:
1. Tabletop Dancing Santa Plans - $9.95 Note: This plan includes detailed instructions, material list, drawings and exploded assembly drawing.
2. Tabletop Motor Kit - $9.99
3. Tabletop Dancing Santa Parts Kit – $7.99
4. 5/32 x 24” x 24” Finnish Birch Plywood - $12.49 Note 5/32 plywood is also available from Woodcraft. I do not have a local supplier!

Departures from the original plan:
1. I used ¾ MDF for the stand parts instead of pine.
2. I used ¼ MDF for making the 3 stud flanges instead of modifying the Nylon spacers. We used regular wood glue to glue the stud flanges to the back of Santa’s head and body.
3. I used a scrap of ½ HDPE to cutout the drive/crank and added a set screw instead of drilling the motor shaft. The original plan uses hardwood for this part.
4. Our scaled up version of Santa will use thicker plywood and larger hardware. We also want to add a mug of beer in one of Santa’s hands.
All the 5/32 Plywood parts were V-Carved and cut from one 24” x 24” piece of plywood in about 40 minutes. I plan to redesign the larger Santa using thicker plywood and add a beer mug to one of Santa' hands to make him a little more comical.
Dancing Santa Parts A - H image.jpg
Dancing Santa - Front R1.jpg
(7.95 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Dancing Santa - Back R1.jpg
(9.54 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Also follow the video link to see the animation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIWewD7UwAI

Enjoy and have a great day!

..... Rod

NewAgent45

Re: Dancing Santa Claus

Post by NewAgent45 »

Help from forum community!

As and after-thought! I'd like to upgrade this project by carving a 3D Model of Santa's face and use it to replace the faceplate with the 3D version. Since the head part of this project is in front it could be carved from a thicker material. I have been searching for a suitable 3D model source for this project. The 3D model source file would have to be compatible/importable to Cut3D.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Have a great day!

.... Rod

NewAgent45

Post by NewAgent45 »

An update on my earlier post:

I found free vectors for a 3D Santa on that is downloadable from the Vectric Forum. Use the link attached below is you are interested in the free 3D Santa vectors.

http://forum.vectric.com/viewtopic.php? ... anta#p6260

This will be perfect for my upgraded Dancing Santa Clause head/face. We already resized it in Cut3D and created the rough and finish files. Then we imported to VCP created the cutout vectors and made final adjustments. We cut it from a piece of 1/2 thick Maple. We are in the process of painting it and will add the studs to the back and replace the original 2D head with this one.

The attached picture is the 3D Santa before painting. We will post a picture of the upgraded project later.
3D Santa Face - s.jpg
Have a great day!

... Rod

NewAgent45

Post by NewAgent45 »

All,

I completed the small tabletop version of Dancing Santa Claus. We added a 3D carving of Santa's head/face. We also added a motion triggered audio device. Please use the attached Youtube link to view my project. This version of Santa is 16 inches tall. I'm also working on a larger version that will be about 26 inches tall. I scaled up to limits of my machine for the largest piece.

We are way ahead of the Holiday Season here. I will probably put Santa in my online store in November.

Enjoy the video!

https://youtu.be/o5G52TLqGjM

........ Rod

Mimbler

Post by Mimbler »

Rod, I've haven't done that kind of carving before. Would you mind describing the toolpath process and the tool style/size used?
thanks, Mike

Edit: I'm talking about the 3d model for the santa face. I use Vcarve pro 8.

NewAgent45

Post by NewAgent45 »

Mike:
Sure! But first a qualifier I don’t consider myself an expert. I bought my CNC Shark Pro – Black Diamond around January 2014. I retired from my engineering job mid -2014 so this keeps me busy in retirement. I never did any CNC machining before.

I’m using Cut3D and sometimes 3D Machinist (Free from Vector Art 3D) for most of my 3D work. You can directly create the tool path files for the Shark with these programs. You can also import the toolpath files to VCarve Pro for more flexibility. I started out using source files from Vector Art3D and there are some free ones you can get your feet wet on. The Santa one I used is a free one someone posted on the Vectric Forum. I opened the Santa file with Cut3D scaled the model and created the rough and finish tool path tool selecting a ¼” round nose bit for rough and 1/8” round nose bit for the finish cut. I choose to do the Cutout toolpath in VCare Pro. So I imported the Cut3D file. You do not have to save the Cut3D tool paths in Cut3D unless you are using them directly from Cut3D. Just save the Cut3D file and import it.

In VCarve Pro just select the Import (Import Vectors from File) and select the Cut3D file to import. You will see the model displayed in the drawing display and you will also see the rough (- R), Finish ( - F) and if used the Cutout (-C) tool paths listed in the tool path display. You can do multiple imports and move them around and generate combined toolpath files in VCarve Pro. I prefer to create my cutout toolpath in VCarve Pro by selecting each model in the drawing display and creating a boundary around the model and use this Vector for the Cutout profile. I do this as I often use thicker material than the depth of the model created in Cut3D.

I have also imported other file types into Cut3D. You can review the compatible file types in Cut3D help.
This isn’t too difficult once you get the hang of the process. It is probably easier with Aspire.

I hope this is enough to get you started. You will be hooked on 3D Carving once you get started. Feel free to browse my website you will find I use 3D carving a lot.
http://www.customgraphictransformations.com/main.sc

Let me know how you make out with your first attempts at 3D. You can use PM (private messaging ) on the forum if you like.

Have a great day!
…. Rod

Mimbler

Post by Mimbler »

Thanks Rod, that was exactly the kind of info I needed to get started. Haven't cut yet, but imported the model and created the toolpaths so I'm on my way!
MIke