Music Box

Browse around for inspiration, or share your work to inspire others!

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

Bob

Music Box

Post by Bob »

In the February 2016 issue of Woodworker's Journal, Sandor Nagyszalanczy published his version of an antique music box.
I really liked it, so here's my version of his version:
I built in, my wife programmed it.
box.JPG
mechanism (1).JPG
open.JPG
Bob
"Focus"
Antonie Van Leeuwenhoek (Developer of the microscope.)

EdThorne

Re: Music Box

Post by EdThorne »

Wow, I really like this. Did you make the music movement, too?

Bob

Post by Bob »

Thanks Ed,
Plans for the drum and hammers were included in the article...I just converted them to cnc.
After completing this project today, I realized that I had not even read the rest of the magazine! I went straight to the music box article and stayed there for three weeks.
Bob
"Focus"

EdThorne

Post by EdThorne »

Thank you Bob. That's really beautiful. I don't subscribe to that journal. Oh well.

tonydude

Post by tonydude »

Nice going Bob, really came out nice.

tony
Buffalo,NY

"What will matter is not what you bought but what you built; not what you got, but what you gave”

Aspire 11.015, photo vcarve, cnc mako shark extended bed with the new upgraded HD 5 gantry with Led pendent.

NewAgent45

Post by NewAgent45 »

Bob,

As with your other projects a great job.

I'm just back from a little vacation and we had not had the chance to read my copy of WWJ. I just read the Music Box article and I'm real interested in building one. I also watched the assembly video. http://www.woodworkersjournal.com/makin ... music-box/

In the magazine article they set up the music box to play "Heart and Soul" and it looks like they only drilled the slats for this song. From your pictures it looks like you drilled all 15 holes in each slat so you could program in your music of choice. I'm not real musically inclined so I'll have to enlist a friend to help with that part.

Again nice job!

.... Rod

monitoringpost

Post by monitoringpost »

Very nice! I'll have to check that issue out.

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Post by jeb2cav »

Inspiring as always Bob. Thanks for sharing this.

Bob

Post by Bob »

I appreciate everyones kind comments.
As for inspiration, I would like to keep on thanking everyone who contributes to the Shark Forum. All the ideas and solutions keep popping up and are used in many different ways with projects.
Bob
"Focus"

Bob

Post by Bob »

"In the magazine article they set up the music box to play "Heart and Soul" and it looks like they only drilled the slats for this song. From your pictures it looks like you drilled all 15 holes in each slat so you could program in your music of choice. I'm not real musically inclined so I'll have to enlist a friend to help with that part."

You're right Rod, I didn't want to be stuck with just one tune. I started with "Heart and Soul", then my wife programmed "Music Box Dancer".
The William Tell Overture is next! (Otherwise known as "The Lone Ranger Theme".)
Bob
"Focus"