Router Bit Storage

Browse around for inspiration, or share your work to inspire others!

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

sharkcutup

Router Bit Storage

Post by sharkcutup »

I have been reaching into a drawer/cabinet for a little over two years now for router bits. I felt it was time to create a storage unit for most of my router bits that would be out near my CNC machine. So I browsed the internet for Router Bit Storage ideas. I came across an interesting unit that would serve my needs very well. I then created a .crv file in VCarve for the storage unit and then set out to carve it.
Here is the final results:
20180411_185702.jpg
The Router Bits are out of the drawer/cabinet and conveniently within reach mounted in a location on my cnc machine table outside the cutting zone. (There is just one drawback --- I have to dismount storage unit from table top whenever I have extra long long projects along the CNC machines y-axis!!!) I'll cross that bridge when I come to it!!!

Even added arrows to the front of the storage unit to reference upcut vs downcut for the Two Flute Spiral End Mills!!!

Sharkcutup
Let Those Chips Fly!!!

bill z

Re: Router Bit Storage

Post by bill z »

Thanks Sharkcutup.

I've been looking for some suggestions on keeping my router bits organized and accessible.

Kayvon

Post by Kayvon »

My solution isn't as pretty, but it works well. I cut a small section of 2x4 and mounted it to the wall.
Bit storage rack
Bit storage rack
For safety reasons, you need to reach over the workbench to access this wall. I didn't want anyone to accidentally bump into it.
Close-up of storage
Close-up of storage
Three sections: 1/4", 3mm, 6mm. I write the size of each bit in pencil (e.g., "0.8mm" or "60 degrees"), which is easy to erase if I replace the bit with something different.

BladesNBarrels

Post by BladesNBarrels »

Great Ideas.
I am guessing that the wall-mounted bit holder retains the bits tight enough that they aren't likely to slip out.
Thanks for posting

sharkcutup

Post by sharkcutup »

This is for Kayvon,

Great quick and dirty Idea!

If I may make a Suggestion/Friendly advice. You might want to keep a small wire brush handy to clean those router bits just after you take them off the router. 1.) it makes cleaning the bits easier if and when you decide to liquid clean them at a later date 2.) Bits will stay sharper longer (some wood such as pine are not a s dry as one may think --- the sap can over time can adhere to the bit causing them to dull that very fine sharp edge. Just a couple of reasons there are more but I am sure you by now understand my point. It only takes a couple seconds to brush them off!

Just a thought!

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro Tips, Gadget Tips & Videos
YouTube Channel - Sharkcutup CNC
V-Carve Pro 11.554

Kayvon

Post by Kayvon »

BladesNBarrels wrote:I am guessing that the wall-mounted bit holder retains the bits tight enough that they aren't likely to slip out.
The fits are fairly loose, actually. The back of the 2x4 is tapered so that, once mounted, the bits are all held up at an angle. You can see it if you look closely at the picture. I didn't want any vibration to shake bits out of the holder.

I don't worry as much about keeping the straight-edged bits clean. I should keep a better eye on them. I take better care of the more expensive bits. Most everything on the 3mm/6mm sides are <$1 apiece from China, so at some point it's just as easy to replace them than maintain them.