Control Panel Registration Problem

Questions/answers/discussion about initial setup of your CNC Shark

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

DenJHill

Control Panel Registration Problem

Post by DenJHill »

Registration of the control panel software is giving me a persistent problem. Each time I try to open the software I'm asked for the registration key. Entering it manually will usually result in the software opening, but not always. Sometimes I need to completely uninstall/re-install it to proceed. This is getting tiresome.

Communication with tech support has been less than satisfactory. First response was manually enter the registration key. Did that. Second response was to connect the computer to the internet and allow the online registration process to run. Not easily possible. System is isolated in a shop without internet access. Disassembling it, moving to another location, hooking up to the internet, then re-installing back in the shop is way more down-time than I can afford right now, with no guarantee of success.

It looks like the module for manually entering the registration key is buggy. Perhaps there is a file that can be edited with a text editor to input the correct registration information thereby bypassing the module. Or, there could be another solution? Anyone else experience this and come up with a solution?

SPECIFICS ON MY SYSTEM:
CNC Shark Control Panel v2.1, Build 14
Controller ID 9379
Model #4004
Firmware Ver. 2083

Thanks,
-Dennis

gpeck

Re: Control Panel Registration Problem

Post by gpeck »

Had about the same problem. my shop is about 150 feet from my router that I use for my main hookup, so I bought 150 feet 0f cable so that I

could get the internet n my shop. You may also copy the registration from vectric portal if you have v pro 8.

DenJHill

Post by DenJHill »

So, I followed tech support's advice and took the control box to another computer that had an internet connection. Ran thru the procedures to register the software online. That worked and I obtained a new registration number and a message that the software was now successfully registered. Yay! Reconnected the control box to the CNC computer, turned everything on, fired up the control software, entered the registration number and guess what....I have 15 days to register the software! So that was a wasted hour.

Next, I will follow the options to register the software by emailing Next Wave the regSaveO.nwa file created by the registration process. According to the instructions I should receive back a valid registration key. Will update this saga then.

gpeck

Post by gpeck »

You did not mention if you had v8.2 installed . Do you have CNCAHARK CP v2.1 Icon on screen? Some of the time when I open from the Icon

a window comes up an says that I need too register again I click on the CP v2.1 Icon again and the control Panel comes up.

NWASupport

Post by NWASupport »

Hi Dennis, the registration information you submitted yesterday looks like it did not transmit into our system so it is to be expected that you will still receive the expiration prompt.

The system information you provided in your original post was very helpful and we will contact you right away to help solve this issue.

DenJHill

Post by DenJHill »

So, sent in the regSave0.nwa file and promptly received back yet another set of registration keys. Went to the CNC system, opened the registration module, plugged in the new keys and voila! "You have successfully registered version 2.0 of the control panel software" (or some such wording). Click through to the next screen and ..... "You have 14 days to register your software". Right back where I started. One big endless loop.

As for the successful registration message, someone really ought to review this code before publishing it. The issued keys are for ver. 2.1 of the software, not 2.0. Clearly there is no real checking going on in the code to ensure the proper version of the software is in play. Just a simple one-size-fits-all message that has no real meaning or validity.

This is becoming a very uncomfortable flashback to the bad old days when good code was rare and users were often times forced to implement clunky work-a-rounds.

If the developers insist one more time that I disassemble the system, haul it to an internet connection, reconnect everything, run through the registration process then disassemble and reassemble back in the shop just to register software I'm going to start looking for product alternatives. An internet connection to register this very simple software is an unreasonable prerequisite.

gpeck

Post by gpeck »

Do you have Vectric Portal.? If you do it will let you reregister, that is what I had too do... gene

monitoringpost

Post by monitoringpost »

gpeck wrote:Do you have Vectric Portal.? If you do it will let you reregister, that is what I had too do... gene
Don't confuse the software vendors - the Vectric Portal is for registration of VCarve, Aspire and the like. Vectric has nothing to do with Next Wave Automation's Control Panel software. Have you investigated a wifi/bluetooth dongle to give you some wireless capability for connecting to the internet?

DenJHill

Post by DenJHill »

monitoringpost wrote:
gpeck wrote:Do you have Vectric Portal.? If you do it will let you reregister, that is what I had too do... gene
Have you investigated a wifi/bluetooth dongle to give you some wireless capability for connecting to the internet?
Yes, have a dongle but that misses the point. The registration module contains an option to register by emailing them the registration file completed when the provided form is completed. This was probably created to assist those without direct internet access. I've done this by saving the file to a thumb drive then using an internet connected computer. Next Wave has now requested screen shots of the problem area. I will be sending that tomorrow.

monitoringpost

Post by monitoringpost »

DenJHill wrote:If the developers insist one more time that I disassemble the system, haul it to an internet connection, reconnect everything, run through the registration process then disassemble and reassemble back in the shop just to register software I'm going to start looking for product alternatives. An internet connection to register this very simple software is an unreasonable prerequisite.
I asked if you investigated a wifi/bluetooth dongle to give you some wireless capability for connecting to the internet?

You answered.
DenJHill wrote:Yes, have a dongle but that misses the point.
So I'm unclear then if you have internet connectivity by way of a wireless device why you're disassembling your system and "hauling" it to an internet connection. You can see where one might misunderstand your query. You're dealing with them now so I'll bow out so as not to add anything that may be misconstrued. Hope you get things working!