Gantry Mounting Holes

Questions/answers/discussion about initial setup of your CNC Shark

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

monitoringpost

Gantry Mounting Holes

Post by monitoringpost »

Now I have my HD in hand and am setting it up and here comes my first question with respect to mounting the gantry.

There are 5 mounting positions on the gantry and only 3 on the table. The instructions do not indicate in any way which set of holes are to be lined up. Intuitively, I think that the bottom 3 holes on the gantry should be matched up with the 3 on the table but then if I'm wrong that'll affect the Z axis travel. Effectively one could mount the gantry in three different positions. Hmmm... :?

P.S. A manual with a couple of illustrations would go a long way!!

saramos

Re: Gantry Mounting Holes

Post by saramos »

While I don't have an answer for you, I would put this under the category of "That's not a bug, that's a feature". It sounds like it could give you some flexibility in mounting materials of above normal thckness, like carving on a big timber, or it could give you flexibility of adding an additional fixture, like an indexing table.

SPH01

Post by SPH01 »

It doesn't matter. I used the bottom three holes.
Also the router was a little tough going in so I loosen't the four screws and it went in fine. It also can go all the way in or anywhere inbetween (this I called them about).
Happy as hell so far.

SPH01

Post by SPH01 »

Riverside-20111115-00114.jpg
A poor cell phone picture but you can see the mounting.

monitoringpost

Post by monitoringpost »

I guess the only other thing I thought of was that the holes maybe accommodate different length routers so that one maintains the full 7" Z axis travel.

I ended up mounting it to the bottom three holes.

Thanks

saramos

Post by saramos »

Wow, beefy battery backup!
Tripplite? APC?

SPH01

Post by SPH01 »

The Backup is a Triplite. Edison power at my house is not the best, ( I have a backup generator) and I had the Triplite leftover from a project that went sideways.
So I thought what the !

Tim Owens

Post by Tim Owens »

We added the addition holes for if you are doing a box or something that needed additional hieght on your HD.
Typically you should have it on the lower setting this gives you about the same room as the current Pro Plus in height under the Gantry.
If you need the extra height you can always raise it up for that project.

Thanks

Tim

monitoringpost

Post by monitoringpost »

So to be clear - you're talking about mounting to the top 3 holes on the gantry Tim?

SPH01

Post by SPH01 »

After using mine I notice I have to go back and get the gantry perpendicular to the table. There is about a 1/8 gap using a square between the top and the bottom of the gantry.
When doing a bevel on two side of the Y axis there is a diffence in the bevel angle.
Then I'll check the router itself and shim the table.