Routers for HD Model

Questions/answers/discussion about initial setup of your CNC Shark

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

monitoringpost

Routers for HD Model

Post by monitoringpost »

Couldn't find this topic (sorry if I missed it), with the new HD model supporting the larger routers what ones are users going with? Perhaps any additional comments on why you chose the one you did may be helpful.

Joraft

Re: Routers for HD Model

Post by Joraft »

I narrowed my choices down to the Porter Cable 892 and the Bosch 1617. Both have full sets of PreciseBits collets available.

I've always been a fan of Porter Cable products, but sadly, like with many brands it seems their quality may not be what it once was. My online research revealed far too many complaints about too much TIR (Total Indicated Runout) with the 892. I don't want to start off with a problem like that, so I went with the Bosch 1617. Another plus, I was able to order just the 1617 motor (16176) so I didn't have to pay for the base that I'll never use.

I've already got my router, the PreciseBits collet set, an assortment of bits, a Kent Split Shoe (on the way), and a brand new Dell dedicated computer.

All I need now is my HD. :D
John

SPH01

Post by SPH01 »

I also went the 1617EVS. Read the same complaints plus I had the 1617 around. I too used the Precise collet and the runout was in the few thousands.
I also have Porter Cables but the research moved me to Bosch.
The Ken shoe is picking up 100% of any dust.

kruizer

Post by kruizer »

Has anyone had a problem with the Porter Cable 890? Mine went south on me after about 20 hours of operation when a bearing started making noise. The folks at Rockler were very good about replacing it but the question of durability remains.
kruizer :cry: