potential buyer

Questions/answers/discussion about initial setup of your CNC Shark

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

hblatt

potential buyer

Post by hblatt »

I've been reading some of the posts, and don't get a warm fuzzy feeling abut these machines . A new or potential owner and not being completely computer literat, First question is .How much computer will I need? I guess next would be what is the manufacturer doing about some of the problems incountered by present owners? That should do it for now. Answeer the first and I'll be back with more for sure.

H. Blatt

fison

Re: potential buyer

Post by fison »

I'm not sure what the exact requirements are but the Shark itself does not require much computing horsepower. The demo units at the store are running on low end little notebooks. They seem to be pretty responsive about dealing with problems. Learning and understanding the computer side of this seems to be the biggest hurdle for most people and you're going to have that with anything you get.

My $.02
Paul Fison
Tacoma, Washington, USA
(253) 925-0855

saramos

Post by saramos »

I'm running mine on a P4 3.4 ghz 1.5 gigs ram running XP. I do my design work on my main PC which I built to handle 3DCAD, I7 920 overclocked with 6 gigs ddr3 and graphic workstation video card. Neither machine becomes taxed at handling the CNC or Vcarve.
While I had a couple of problems when I first started using the machine, proper lube, checking wire connections and some other minor issues, I've really enjoyed mine and think that it was well worth the price. I just wish my budget had been enough to go with the larger Sharks.

Scott

engraver173

Post by engraver173 »

As a new to be owner, this discussion has given me a new issue to deal with, namely selecting a tool controler PC. Scott, you appear to have some PC background. Hopefully we can learn together. I have some PC options to explore. I'll get the specs and jump back in. Will I be able to cut my first article on day ONE?

Allan

saramos

Post by saramos »

Hi Alan,

There is a little bit of a learning curve, plus the time to actually assemble the machine. If you've had pleanty of experience in assembling equipment, and have been exploring the software, and already have something simple designed, it's possible to cut the first day. It took me longer than a day to cut something, but I started off after the basic assembly with building an enclosure. My first cuts were of some logos I had drawings of. I had to cut a fair amount of tests to start to learn how to properly set up the jobs and get the results I was looking for. I suggest that you get a sheet of MDF, perhaps 5/8" and cut it into 1' x 1' squares and use them to practice with. Take your time with the machine and you will be happy.

Some issues you may deal with are, leveling the table, insuring all the fasteners are proplerly tightened, checking and resolving motor skips (this happened to me as a result of a zip tie too close to the connector on the y axis motor cable). Other things that will take some time is collecting bits. If the Shark you get uses the Bosch Colt, start off by getting the 1/8" and 1/4" collet replacements from Precision bBits. These will give you superior runnout and more flexibility in bit selection. Above all, have fun and don't hesitate to ask questions. There are a lot of helpful peoble here in the forums.

Scott