Moaning Sound

Questions/answers/discussion about initial setup of your CNC Shark

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

sparky1945

Moaning Sound

Post by sparky1945 »

Does any one else get a moaning sound when the shark is moving through the X and Y phases? It is happening as it runs on the support rods. I tried putting a small amount of lubricate on the rod (WD 40) but it still does it. The jobs do not seem to be affected so I thought it might be a characteristic of the machine but wanted to check with the experienced users to see if I have more of a problem than I think it is.

SPH01

Re: Moaning Sound

Post by SPH01 »

Don't use WD40 would be the first issue. They mention Silicon or triflow if I recall. I got some spray at Rockler for router bearings that seems to work good.

GARYR6

Post by GARYR6 »

Try T9

sparky1945

Post by sparky1945 »

Thanks I'll give it a try

Turbo1zz

Post by Turbo1zz »

Becausew e use our machines in a fairly dirty environment and wood dust is a constant issue. applying a lubricant that stays wet is asking for trouble... think "wet sanding".

A dry lubricant like the the one sold here "http://www.mclubemarine.com/sailkote/" will coat well and completely dry giving adequate protection while not attracting dust, creating a slurry of grease and dust on the screws and rails. It's not cheap but the stuff works amazingly enough and the Navy machinist around here love the stuff. I use it on my table saw, band saw, CNC, Car and just about anywhere I need good lubrication. The stuff work great.

Jeffrey

kruizer

Post by kruizer »

sparky1945 wrote:Does any one else get a moaning sound when the shark is moving through the X and Y phases? It is happening as it runs on the support rods. I tried putting a small amount of lubricate on the rod (WD 40) but it still does it. The jobs do not seem to be affected so I thought it might be a characteristic of the machine but wanted to check with the experienced users to see if I have more of a problem than I think it is.
The moaning sound you are getting is most likely the stepper motors working and is a normal condition
kruizer

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Post by jeb2cav »

If the machine is properly lubricated, and the FRO is set to 100%, you should get a nice smooth sound - a humming if you will - while jogging at any speed rate. If you scan through the posts on this topic, most are using a silicon/teflon type spray, although some have had the same success with a light oil. WD40 doesn't fall into either of these categories. Some purchase high end stuff, goat farmers like me buy a spray can at the local big box or hardware store...

If you then reduce the FRO, you'll notice a change in the pitch, the lower the FRO, the more the sound changes to a groan. This is normal as kruizer points out.

To get at the Y axis lead screw under the table, I've bent a metal box bracket into a curve, attached it to a scrap stick, stick a damp rag in it, and hook it over the lead screw and jog back and forth a bit.

For my use, I'm repeating this every 15-20 hours of use. I think this might vary depending on the type of lubricant you're using, and the environmental conditions.

For new owners, I'd lubricate and exercise the gantry out of the box, just to be sure this aspect of the machine is in good shape.

sparky1945

Post by sparky1945 »

Thanks Guys,

I am now using Silicone and it has helped. The statements that it can be normal makes me feel much better.

Dan