Dust Collection/Duct Tape?

Questions/answers/discussion about initial setup of your CNC Shark

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

mmorgan

Dust Collection/Duct Tape?

Post by mmorgan »

Just used this machine for the first time yesterday at our high school. I am an occupational therapist working with special needs students. I have seen plastic holders attached to the router on-line but it seems as though people are fabricating them from a pattern and not purchasing them ready made. I was wondering if I could use heavy duct tape to secure the tube to the router. I am not able to make what I am seeing on-line.
Michele Morgan
Warren, MI

SPH01

Re: Dust Collection/Duct Tape?

Post by SPH01 »

Which machine do you have and which router are you using and maybe one of us can help you out.

Bob

Post by Bob »

I'm guessing that when you refer to a tube, you are talking about a vacuum cleaner. If it were lightweight, or well supported you could use duct tape. You will still miss a lot of the dust. There will probably be issues with static electicity, which you need to eliminate. You should ground the hose to prevent an electrostatic buildup.
Before I go any further...are we talking about the same subject?
Bob

Also, Is anyone else using this machine at your school?
"Focus"
Antonie Van Leeuwenhoek (Developer of the microscope.)

mmorgan

Post by mmorgan »

We are using the smallest, least expensive model, cost $2600. The router came with it and was a Bosch Colt. I am working with another Occupational Therapist. Until now we have been turning pens with students. This is a completely new adventure and we have a limited number of tools and skill which is why I was hoping to simplify the dust collection problem. The first time we ran the machine the laptop was filled with dust between the cracks in the keyboard and I know we need to do something before running it again. Hope this helps you help me! If we can use everyday materials to make some sort of collar that's our only option at this point. We aren't able to fabricate what I've seen on-line.

Bob

Post by Bob »

This may sound kind of dumb (but that's never stopped me before...), but have you considered making a cardboard box enclosure for the entire Shark. Lots of duct tape, plastic for windows, stick a vacuum hose on a hole in the side. Just lift the whole thing off when you need to get at the Shark.

I have the same size Shark in my home shop, as you are using .

When our computer in my school shop would get filled with sawdust, I would take compressed air and blow it out. A little hard on the CD drive, but it never got used much anyway. This method worked for the ten or so years we used it before I retired.

Bob
"Focus"
Antonie Van Leeuwenhoek (Developer of the microscope.)

mmorgan

Post by mmorgan »

Excellent advice! That's exactly what I'm going to do. Beyond the dust, It would also serve as a barrier between the machine and some of our more impulsive students.
Thanks so much.

GARYR6

Post by GARYR6 »

Search the forum for dust collection, dust shoes. There are lots of solutions that don't require much work. I use a 2 inch high fence around the cut area that contains 90% of the chips. If you are cutting MDF then go with an inclosure system.