Leonard's shark goes up instead of down

Questions/answers/discussion about initial setup of your CNC Shark

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

spinningwood

Leonard's shark goes up instead of down

Post by spinningwood »

Hi leonard - Let me make sure we understand your problem. I'm going to restate what I think you were saying and add some questions that look like this

1) you set X = 0 and y = 0 at the same point on your workpiece in the Shark Control Program as you set the XY origin in your VCarve file. That would be either the center or one of four coners. Which origin are you using? Do you have "Use Origin Offset" checked in your VCarve file in the Job Setup? If so, what values did you specify for x and y?

2) you set z = 0 one paper width above the top of your workpiece. What it the thickness of your workpiece? What thickness did you specify in VCarve? Did you select the Z Zero at the top or bottom of the workpiece in the "Material" section of VCarve Job Setup?

3) Using the Shark Control Panel, you load the gcode from the toolpath file you created in VCarve. When you run the toolpath the shark moves up instead of down to start carving.

Did I state your problem correctly?

If so, I can think of a couple of things that might be causing your problem. The first thing I would check is to make sure that you set Z Zero in the control program at the same point as you defined it in VCarve Job Setup. If you tell VCarve that Z Zero is the shark table and you set Z Zero at the top of the work piece in the control program then the shark would move up at the start instead of down. This may not be the problem, but it's an easy thing to check so it's worth doing before moving on.

If you used the same Z Zero point in VCarve and the Control Program, then the next thing I would check is the actual gcode. Open the *.tap file you are trying to run on the shark using either Notepad or Wordpad (or any text editor). Copy the first 20 lines of code and paste them into a message here.

Let's see where that gets us.

Ed

Tim Owens

Re: Leonard's shark goes up instead of down

Post by Tim Owens »

I am not sure that you have not covered this already but the only other point I would add is to make sure you are not using negative numbers. If you are putting in a depth in vcarve use .5 inch and not -.5 that will cause problems like this. Negative numbers will cause you movements to reverse in vcarve or that have for some people.

Thanks
Tim

leonard1234

Post by leonard1234 »

Thanks for your reply.
To try and answer your questions as best I can. I know that it is my settings in Vcarve vs shark, but can't get it right.

Tim question (1) I use center origin of the workpiece. X=0 and y=0. I do not have "use origin checked".

(2) The thickness of the workpiece is .75" I specified .75" in VCarve. I set Z Zero at the top of the workpiecein the material section of VCarve job setup.

(3) I load the Gcode from the toolpath I created in Vcarve and selct run from SD card and turm the router on it goes up about 2" above the work piece. It goes through all the motions of carving, but instead of plunging it work piece it goes up.

One thing I am not clear on is the settings in the shark control panel. I jog x,y, and z to the center of my workpiece. So when I get that set do make all settings back to 0 and then load Gcode from the file. See this is probably my problem fo not under standing VCarve Vs shark control panel. I don't use negative's that I am aware of, If I can explain I see in the toopath that x=0 y=0 and z=.75 is this correct or should the be different like .5 as you say.

As you can see you I don't understand even after watching reading etc.
Leonard

I will check your sujestions.

Ed thanks for your help as well I will get this right yet.

spinningwood

Post by spinningwood »

Hi Leonard - I think the problem is with some of your VCarve settings and the way you are setting Z Zero in the shark control panel. Before trying to talk you through that, it would really help to be able to see your toolpath and your vcarve file. If you are able / willing to post them we could probably get you straightened out in no time. The files I'm looking for are your *.crv file from VCarve and the *.tap toolpath file. You will probably have to rename the toolpath file to *.txt to be able to post it here.

If you can post them then great. If not then maybe we can try something else to get you going.

Ed

leonard1234

Post by leonard1234 »

Let me work on it tonight and see what I can get for you. I have to log off now.
Thanks

leonard1234

Post by leonard1234 »

Ed, Tim I have yet got the gcodes to send, but in setup I am using oak stock that is 11.250 x 11.250 material .75" Z Zero at the top. XY origin position set in the center. The offset origin is not checked, data scaling not checked and unit of measure is inches hit ok.

Create vector as square.

Toolpaths material setup Z Zero at the top thickness is .75", rapid z gap for Z1 0.125 andZ2 0.125 not sure about what this.Home position .75".

Toolpath operation then selected create an inlay toolpath I am using a 1/4" profile bit. then save toolpath. the summary is:
feed 100.0 per min
plunge 30.0/min
spindle 12,000 rpm
home position 0.0.0.75
safe Z 0.125
min Z -0.2813"
est time 3:59:13
max depth 0.2818

post processor cnc shark inches.

go into load gcodes in the shark panel i jogged xyz to center of work peice and as stated paper width above workpiece. then go to file select project load codes then when loaded I select run from sd card, but the xy seems to be in the correct xyz are set center but the routrt goesup.
how can I get this right. I am sleepy now and 3am get up time is approaching. Thanks for anyhelp. I know it is all in my set up.
Leonard

spinningwood

Post by spinningwood »

Leonard - It would be a lot easier if you could post the *.crv and *.tap file. Without that, I'm just guessing. You say you jog to the center of the work piece with the cutter a paper width above the work piece, and then you load the toolpath (gcode). Do you set X, Y and Z to zero on the shark control panel before you run the program? What values are showing for X, Y and Z in the control panel right before you click "run from SD card"? If it's something other than 0 then that would be a problem.

When you start running the toolpath, if the shark is going to start cutting somewhere other than at the 0,0,0 point it will move up to the safe Z postiion before making it's move to where it is going to start cutting. When it gets to it's start point (which will often be somewhere other than x = 0 and y = 0) it should move down and start cutting in the workpiece. You haven't been stopping the toolpath running just because the router moved up at the start? Have you? What does the shark do after it moves up?

Ed

leonard1234

Post by leonard1234 »

Ed, I will get that gcode to you and after jogging the router to 0 as I have set in procarve on the workmaterial it is set to 000. When the router goes back up it will start the motion as it is cutting on the work material, but will not plunge as I have seen others do. It's going through the motion as I see on the veiw toolpath. I do not stop until I know it is not going to start back down. Ihave let it run for 5 min before stopping.
I appreciate all your help and know I don't know all I need to know about the softwear, but never had this much with anyother as carveright. The machine may have not been good, but the soktwear was easier. I will master it though.

I will work on getting you gcodes.
Thanks
Again

spinningwood

Post by spinningwood »

Hi Leonard - I'll wait for the gcodes and hope they shed some light on what is happening to you. Looking at the gcodes would at least allow us to figure out whether the problem is with VCarve or with the Shark.

Ed

spinningwood

Post by spinningwood »

Leonard - If posting to the forum is the problem, and you want me to look at them, you can email me your *.tap file and your *.crv file. Send them to spinningwood at comcast dot net.

Ed