Intellectual property

Questions/answers/discussion about initial setup of your CNC Shark

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

MikeDe1025

Intellectual property

Post by MikeDe1025 »

I'm sure this subject has come up at least hundreds of times but maybe mine is just a bit more specific.
The samples that we get with our design software and the projects that we get from other free downloads like from Vectric's web site or even here on our forum and we are offered freely to download and run them, are we then allowed to sell them? If the answer is some yes and some no, then I have to ask how then do we know if we can or not?

Thanks,
Mike

sk8nmike

Re: Intellectual property

Post by sk8nmike »

As a general rule I would say that anything you know is trademarked (Logos, seals, anything Disney) shouldn't be sold. If you downloaded it for free and there's no sign of a copywright then it's yours to use and sell. Now I wouldn't try to sell a pattern I got for free as you may find people take exception to that.

tmerrill

Post by tmerrill »

Hi Mike,

I have attached the License agreement that is automatically installed on your hard drive when you install Aspire. It starts by explaining your agreement with Vectric for using their software and if you scroll down you will find the license terms for using Vector Art 3D's models that are included with Aspire. It has a little legal language to prevent misinterpretation, but overall I think you will find it easy to read and understand and I think it will answer your questions with regards to Vectric products.

If you purchase additional models from Vector Art 3D, part of the download will also include the license agreement.

Don't ever hesitate to contact Vectric (support@vectric.com) or Vector Art 3D (support@vectorart3d.com) if you have any questions. I'm sure they very much appreciate people asking first to ensure they are doing the right thing.

Tim
Attachments
Licence.txt
(7.05 KiB) Downloaded 304 times

MikeDe1025

Post by MikeDe1025 »

Well, I read it now and it seems that they are more concerned with their programming rather than what you actually make. They do pretty much say that you can't copy and sell the things they include on the CD like the samples themselves but they don't say at all that you can't make the project on your machine and then sell the project you just made. That's what I get out of it anyway. So basically I saw nothing which talked about selling the projects that you make on your machine.

Thanks for the input guys,

Mike

Wolffie1

Post by Wolffie1 »

You can sell what you make but you cannot sell the model you made it from nor say it is your artwork/model.
Cheeers
Wolffie

Eagle55

Post by Eagle55 »

I don't think they intend in any way to limit what you can make and sell (nor is it practical to even attempt that), but rather restrict you from buying a pattern or software and turn around and sell copies of it to someone else. That is pretty much standard for all software/intellectual property. I have seen some beading patterns that attempt to say that if you sell more than 5 of their pattern that that is beyond the scope of their permission to use, but that is an entirely different area of work and quite frankly beyond their ability (legally) to request in my opinion. But I have never seen that in connection with woodworking patterns. I think their primary intent at Vectric and other providers is that you don't profit by selling their programs, not by selling the products you make with their programs. (which is only right)

Roger
CNC Shark HD ~ Control Panel 2.0 ~ Windows 7 & XP
Located in West Tennessee near the Tennessee River
http://www.eaglecarver4.com