multiple router bits?

Questions/answers/discussion about initial setup of your CNC Shark

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

DoctorSaul

multiple router bits?

Post by DoctorSaul »

It's not clear to me how to set up a carving that will use two different router bits (ie: a v-bit for carving, and a downcut end mill bit for drilling holes). How do I set up the toolpath? Does my Shark Pro Plus know when to signal the router to stop for a tool change?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Saul

Minitucking

Re: multiple router bits?

Post by Minitucking »

Im still a newbie so the more experieced guys can correct me if i am wrong.
When you have a file with more that one bit to carve you have to save each tool path seperatly. So for the toolpath that has a v bit you would save a file (ex. "project vbit"). Then you would save another file for the endmill drill (ex. "Project Drill"). Then you would load the V bit file or drill file whichever you want first and load whatever bit for that file. Once that file finishes bring the router back to xyz zero and change the bit to the other bit. Then you zero the z and load the next file and run it.

Tim Owens

Post by Tim Owens »

exactly right.
I am not a big fan of switching tools so I try to do it with one bit if I can.
Thanks for the replay

Consultingwoodworker

Post by Consultingwoodworker »

I do multiple bit projects all the time.

My technique is to jog the head up, change the tool, but only finger tight. Carefully jog the head back down close to material surface, then slide the bit into contact with the material.

Now tighten the bit, and BE SURE TO RESET THE Z TO ZERO. Keep X and Y zeros the same.

This will get you VERY accurate resets.

There is a new video on this technique on Rockler's YouTube channel. It has not made it here yet.
http://www.youtube.com/user/RocklerWood ... ao0JL7jFP8

Ralph

acxsasx

Post by acxsasx »

Just did a project today in Cut3D that required changing bits. Not a big deal. I see now that I got lucky in that my second bit was shorter than my first one so that when I had it move to 0,0,0 it was not a problem. I then moved the Z down to the point I wanted and then reset the Z to 0.

Ralph's technique is a good one to follow which I will be doing from now on.