new machine

Questions/answers/discussion about initial setup of your CNC Shark

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

marketplace

new machine

Post by marketplace »

OK Guys I just got the go ahead from the boss to pull the trigger and order my new machine
I would like some help with what all I need to purchase to get up and running, but want to do everything possible to make good choices the first time.

I am a building contractor but also build some custom furniture and small items (boxes, signs etc)
I need to purchase the machine along with the router but also will need a new laptop,bits, ??
I have a little experence with this type of equipment but not a lot.
Any imput will be appreciated

Consultingwoodworker

Re: new machine

Post by Consultingwoodworker »

A lot of the answer will depend on the work you want to do.

A new laptop is not necessarily needed. The control software for the machine itself is not demanding. You can download a trial version of the VCarve software and see how well it works on your machine. It is better to have the VCarve software on the computer that will be running the machine, because you WILL be making adjustments on the fly.

The bits you will need will be determined by the projects. A 1/4" straight bit, a 1/2" 90 degree V bit are your starters. I use a 3/4" dia straight bit for planing my work surface, and recently bought a 1/16" tapered ball end bit for carving.

The thing about CNCs is that you buy them for specific reasons, then once you see what they can do, you'll be off and running!

Ralph

marketplace

Post by marketplace »

I plan on doing some custom engraving on some urns and other memorials
does the 1/2" v bit work for small letters?
I like the idea of planing the work surface I guess I didn't even think of that.
I am assuming that I can get the bits I need from Rockler as well
Thanks
Tim

marketplace

Post by marketplace »

One more thing I forgot
I have a couple of PCs in my office and the wife has a laptop so I really need another one dedicated to run the machine so I am planning on buying another one, just wondering if anyone has thoughts on the particulars of a new computer since I am going to buy one anyway
Tim

Consultingwoodworker

Post by Consultingwoodworker »

Get a cheap one! It will collect a lot of dust setting next to your machine!

You do not need a huge bunch of computing power.

One more thought, if you do not have a CAD program already, I like DeltaCad. I use it for drawings and layouts, then import the .dxf files into VCarve. VCarve is great for programming the machine, but not the best drawing program in my opinion. DeltaCad is cheap (under $40.00) and very easy to learn/use.

Ralph

marketplace

Post by marketplace »

I use Chief Architect now to draw house plans so I am glad to hear that I can use it and import .dxf files
Thanks for the help
Tim

mike&jo

Post by mike&jo »

I'm in the very same boat with Tim. Thanks for the question and the reply. I'm sure I'll be back here.
Mike

REG

Post by REG »

For signs, letterings and most 2D carvings you can use the 90 degree bit for almost all of it. If you want to cut out the sign, do borders or special edges then you can add those bits as needed. What I suggest is use the 90 degree bit that comes with the Shark on a couple projects. Get the feel of what the machine can do as you grow to learn it. It is not necessary to have a 50 piece bit set but having a couple spare V-bits around is not a bad idea.
As Ralph stated, for a computer you don't need a mega-machine. Shark Basic Control Panel barely uses any processor or resources and V-Carve is fairly conservative as well. Now if you run Auto Desk or other CADs you will need a little more HP for that. Just to load the Shark controller you could get by with just about anything. You can use a decent desktop and just install V-Carve to design/create and save the .tap file then move the file to a simple laptop and load the .tap file and run.

I have a couple older Neoware computers one of which I may use with a Planar touchscreen I have just for running .tap files for the Shark. It would be a perfect "shop" computer. Just mount it to the bench and use a memory stick to load my file. I already tipped my laptop once, thankfully it only suffered a few scratches.

Bobby

marketplace

Post by marketplace »

I am waiting for the sale papers to come out today but looks like I can get a new basic laptop for $400 range and I can do my heavy work on my office PC.
I will pick up a couple of extra bits and play around to see what this thing can do.
I plan on placing the order later today and can't wait to get my hands on this thing
Thanks for the help
Tim

microjeep

Post by microjeep »

hi, i also am looking at purchasing a machine for hobby work. this is a little out of my comfort zone but have been reading the forms and can see that everyone is very helpful. and i would like to ask Tim to keep of informed of how his journey goes. of course if he is anything like me once he gets this baby running there will be no time for any posts, except mayby bragging on projects! good luck and keep us posted
thanks microjeep
thanks microjeep