Control Box

Questions/answers/discussion about initial setup of your CNC Shark

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

RALFEL

Control Box

Post by RALFEL »

Hey guys......I just got my Shark Pro Plus on Friday and set it up today. I followed the instructions in the manual but only got so far. I plugged in the control box and waited to hear the fans and see them spinning. However, I did not notice this at all. I also took the six screws out to look inside and I don't see any fans. The LEDs inside the box don't even go on. If I plug a tool into the outlet, that doesn't even work. Does anyone have any troubleshooting ideas to help me get this thing running? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Eric

RhB_HJ

Re: Control Box

Post by RhB_HJ »

Hi Eric,

No fans in the new control box! There's an on-off switch, is it on? Any of the LEDs lit when the switch is on?
Cheers

HJ
_______
Hans-Joerg Mueller
Coldstream, BC Canada

http://www.rhb-grischun.ca

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Post by jeb2cav »

Hi Eric,

This post may also be useful to you as you go through setting this up. http://www.cncsharktalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=260
With regard to no power, no leds, you may find that the red estop button is currently locked in the off position. Turning it to unlock it may solve this one (also mentioned in the referenced post).

RALFEL

Post by RALFEL »

Hey guys....I must confess that I feel like an idiot. As careful as I think I am sometimes, I truly didn't check "everything."...

Hans...I didn't think I was crazy for not seeing any fans, thanks for clarifying that! I only wish the so-called "instruction manual" that came with the machine was updated, ya know? But it's working now!

Joe...your solution definitely fixed the problem! THANK YOU SO MUCH! I didn't once stop to think that the red estop button might be engaged, but it was. Now the LEDs are all visible and I was successful in making the machine move!

Thank you to both of you guys for the quick response. The input was greatly appreciated!

Eric

Consultingwoodworker

Post by Consultingwoodworker »

Rafele,

Be sure to go through the demo videos that are on this site. They will get you up and running on the basics pretty quickly.

Ralph

SummitSeeker

Post by SummitSeeker »

I almost have my new Shark all set up and want I to build an enclosure for the control box and it's wired connections so they stay better protected. I have a space where I want to install the control box, but it would be installed on it's side with the red button facing towards you and on the top and the led lights on the bottom. Is it okay for the control box to be mounted on its side like this? I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere and I want to make sure the system stays running as good as it can for as long as it can. It' is a control box for the Shark Pro Plus...

Thanks for the help...!

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Post by jeb2cav »

I doubt that there are any issues mounting the control box sideways, upside down, etc. However, you do want to ensure there is a reasonable air flow. The heat sinks inside the box are mounted to dissipate heat to the "top". So, if you're mounting this, I'd try to mount from the bottom and again, ensure an air flow around the box. I've read elsewhere on the forum where folks actually enclosed the control box, but then included a fan to pull air through that restricted area to enable this.

SummitSeeker

Post by SummitSeeker »

Joe,

Thanks for the quick reply. I plan on adding a pc fan (or two) to the back of the control box's enclosure to circulate the air and help with cooling. My enclosure will also have a few inches of open space on each side of the control box and I will add small spacers of some sort for the control box to sit on inside the enclosure so that air can reach ALL of its sides. I wasn't sure if there were any componets inside the control box that would be affected by resting it on it's side or if any other issues would arrise from it being mounted this way. I did not plan on actually screwing down or fixing the control box as the location it will be in is very well protected and it should not be disturbed once put into place. One of my main reasons for placing it is this way is to not only help with keeping it free from dust but to help protect the wire connections. They can tend to become loose and the small screws can break making them very hard to remove if they are shuffeled around to much.

When it gets right down to it I also want to make sure that if I mount the control box this way it will not affect my warranty. To recap; the control box is mounted on it's side, inside an enclosure with the ability for air to flow around all of the Control box's sides and with a small pc fan installed on the enclosure to ensure air flow and heat removal.

Thanks again for the help...

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Post by jeb2cav »

I think the only folks who can address warranty implications is Rockler or Next Wave Automation. Given that there's no stated limitations in the doc, it'd be a hard case I'd think for them to say abuse. But, you could call/email them if you're concerned. All of the above is my opinion of course - I have no role in warranties (lol)! I've had the cover off of the new controller (to attach loose screws from manufacture) and there are no moving parts, so the angle the box is setting at should have no effect on performance. You've addressed the air flow.