Piranha doesn't recognize touch plate

Questions/answers/discussion about initial setup of your CNC Shark

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

Mimbler

Piranha doesn't recognize touch plate

Post by Mimbler »

While waiting for my Vcarve software, I tried using the touch plate on my piranha. I can get to the point where it asks me to touch the plate to the bit, but it does not recognize that I have touched it.

Now, since the piranha has a pendant instead of being connected to a computer, I haven't had a way of registering the piranha or the touch plate. Is this required to function properly?

The manual says to go to NWA to register, but I can't find anyplace on their site to register the machine or accessories.
thanks for any help,
Mike

WoodEraser

Re: Piranha doesn't recognize touch plate

Post by WoodEraser »

Where did you plug the cable into ?
You need to plug it into the pendant not the controller.
We found this out by trial and error as it will see it plugged into controller but not really recognize it.
Eric the "WoodEraser"
Sun City Center, Florida

If today were perfect there would be no need for tomorrow.

Mimbler

Post by Mimbler »

Thanks Eric, I did indeed plug it into the controller. I went back and the manual just states "plug into the Piranha" so I stopped looking for a jack when I spotted the one in the controller!
I really appreciate all the great help I am receiving here; I don't know if I would have ever noticed the jack on the pendant,
Mike

WoodEraser wrote:Where did you plug the cable into ?
You need to plug it into the pendant not the controller.
We found this out by trial and error as it will see it plugged into controller but not really recognize it.

Mimbler

Post by Mimbler »

Well, I was pretty confident that would solve it, but I just went out to the garage to try it plugged into the pendant, and got the same result - works up to the touch test and can't detect the router touching the plate.

Does something need to be registered for this to work? I'm going to pull out the fluke to make sure that a wire isn't broken, as this touch plate looks like it is a simple continuity circuit,
Mike

Mimbler

Post by Mimbler »

Just to check things out, I set my multimeter to ohms and checked across the conductors on the phono plug with the plate and magnet touching/ and not touching. I could not detect any change of state when the magnet touches the aluminum plate.

The outer two conductors indicate continuity (approx 0 ohms) whether plate touches magnet or not. The innermost conductor shows an open (infinite ohms) with both of the outer conductors whether plate touches magnet or not. If the piranha is looking for a continuity state change when the magnet/collet/bit touches the plate, then I think my wiring is faulty. If it is looking for something more subtle, then I'm lost!
Mike

joethegasman

Post by joethegasman »

My first pos ton the forum and I am providing an answer! :shock:

I recently got the piranha and went online with my serial # to do the right thing as stated in the manual and register it. Could not find anywhere to do so.

Contacted NWA about it and this is what I got back,

That is not currently functional, it seems the message was put in before the
registration was set up. You should be able to use your machine with no
problems and will be prompted or contacted about registration once it is
completed.

Best regards,

Next Wave Automation Tech Support

I hope this helps, and I am sure that I will be looking for some in the future, :)

JTGM

Mimbler

Post by Mimbler »

Very helpful, Joe; thank you. I won't worry about registration till I hear from them, then. This is a great forum. I've gotten so much really useful help, and was actually able to help one person myself. I hope to learn a lot in the coming year,
Mike

joethegasman wrote:My first pos ton the forum and I am providing an answer! :shock:

I recently got the piranha and went online with my serial # to do the right thing as stated in the manual and register it. Could not find anywhere to do so.

Contacted NWA about it and this is what I got back,

That is not currently functional, it seems the message was put in before the
registration was set up. You should be able to use your machine with no
problems and will be prompted or contacted about registration once it is
completed.

Best regards,

Next Wave Automation Tech Support

I hope this helps, and I am sure that I will be looking for some in the future, :)

JTGM